Plug Controller Bypass??

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey diesel lovers!! I have a 89 7.3 that I'm thinking needs a bypass put in the cab. Any thoughts? Good idea or bad idea?

Tell 'em Large Marge Sent Ya!!!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the best things I did on my truck was add a manual button. All you have to do is take the white wire off of your controller and put some electrical tape on it. Then put a new wire where the white wire used to go, run it in the cab and attach it to a momentary pushbutton switch with two terminals. Hook it to one of the terminals and then run a short wire from the other terminal and bolt it to a good ground under the dash. That's it.

You can watch your voltmeter in the dash, when you are glowing the plugs, the voltmeter will drop way down to around 8 volts or so. Just start experimenting with how long to hold the button in. I would not hold it on longer than 10 seconds, I usually hold mine in for 5 or so, depending on how cold it is, and then if it doesn't start I just stop cranking and hold the button in a little longer and try again.

You must be registered for see images attach

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info bud!! And nice diagram. I've also heard putting in a bypass saves your plugs from burning out faster cuz the controller cycles everytime you turn the key. I'll be putting a button in asap. Thanks again!!

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome!! I'll be reading into that more. Thanks bro!