Play in Steering

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Ive been noticing here lately I have some play in my steering. When I turn the wheel to the right I get instant turning action, but when I go straight and turn to the left a get a lot of play in the steering wheel before the tires actually get turning. At first I thought steering box has the the play but wouldn't that effect both directions? Could Ball joints or a tie rod?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the little bits of wear in the system can become quite additive. To track them down, try clamping different parts of the system so that they cannot move, and check for play at each step.

romulus

Reaction score
i had the same problem, although i have a dana 50 ifs.

rather than diagnosing every little problem, i just replaced the steering box, all ball joints, and rod ends, pivot bushings, spring and shackle bushings.

total cost in parts was about 500 bucks, and a weekend of hard labor,smashed fingers, and a body bruise.

its tight now, just like a new one!

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Well I dont have the $500 and to just throw parts at it...I guess I need to just go find out and try what Mel said to do.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We seem to be having a rash of cracked frames over in another forum causing problems in these trucks. It cracks around the area were the steering box mounts, and sometimes the rivets come loose where the large crossmember attaches to the frame rail.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the steering box itself, steering boxes get loose over time, especially with the weight of the diesel hovering over it. Be patient, having a friend help you with another pair of eyes as you are moving things and seeing where the issue(s) are.

Good luck.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Well I dont have the $500 and to just throw parts at it...I guess I need to just go find out and try what Mel said to do.

You're not really throwing parts at it... With all the years these trucks have been on the road hauling heavy stuff, and the abuse the frontend takes from supporting the engine and the heavy truck frame, 18 years is a lot of time and wear.

Like Mel and others said, the small amounts of wear throughout the system add up, a little slop here, a little slop there, before you know it the steering is terrible... That's what I am going through now.

Even if you can start replacing parts as funds become available, your better off.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
get a friend to wiggle the steering wheel back and forth in the truck only in the "play" zone. get under there and climb around until you see where the extra movement is going to.

thats where you can find it on the ground.

if you want to jack it up you can start grabbing tires and feel for any looseness. grabbing top and bottom checks the ball joints, side to side checks the tie rods, play all around is checking the wheel bearings.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Well all the play is coming from the steering box! Can I safely adjust it to take up some of that play?

Also checked ball joints and tierods by wiggling the wheel and have no movement either direction.

Did notice though my steering stabilizer shaft is bent to hell. Is the steering stabilizer shock suppose to be hard to push both directions, or is it suppose to be like a regular shock and spring out?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
you can try to tighten the box up but the play is usually in the center part of the gear so it will be fine going straight but cam bind when you turn. just make sure to test it out well before you take a drive on the road.

as far as the stabalizer yes it should be tight both ways otherwise it would only work when you turned one direction.

ohiozj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine has got some play in it too. plus on the road around 40mph and above if im going into a sweeping curve to the right and hit a bump just right i get a little death wobble. not when turning left though, only right.

i had the wife turn the wheel while i looked underneath at the tie rods, they all looked good. i have to jack it up and check the ball joints or wheel joints i guess.

bring yours over and we can go over them together. i could use a fresh set of eyes.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where most of my play was...the slip steering shaft in the engine compartment has a 'spring' in it to take-up the slop well...mine didn't!
That = a LOT of slop and play. I carefully forced a shim up into the male/female slot and it's tight again ;Sweet