Play in Steering

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can the shaft be welded solid?
NO...it's designed to slip into its self in case of frontal impact vs being sent into your chest.
I slipped a snug shim up inside and it made a night and day difference in my excess steering play, and secured it from falling out with a hose clamp.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Dtt
NO...it's designed to slip into its self in case of frontal impact vs being sent into your chest.I slipped a snug shim up inside and it made a night and day difference in my excess steering play, and secured it from falling out with a hose clamp.

Ill have to try that, what would be a good shim?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dtt

Ill have to try that, what would be a good shim?
Have you first confirmed the OE "curved spring" looks like a mini leaf-spring is busted and missing?
With a good light hang in over engine compartment grab the shaft and by hand turn the steering wheel side of the shaft > notice the L/R up/down slop.
You can use a feeler-gauge set to give you an idea the the 'thickness" needed >but make sure the final shim is a snug fit on all sides.
For a shim I used a flat piece of steel strapping, maybe 3" long x 1/2" wide and maybe 1/16" thick. Don't quote me on those dimensions but (if) the OE piece inside broke and fell out you'll have to experiment on what you can get up inside the existing gap. I forced grease up in the void and coated the shim...I made sure my shim went in at least 2" and tapped it in with a small hammer to eliminate ANY and ALL slop.
Leaving 1" handing out I secured it with a hose clamp. The two shafts will compress if needed but WOW did it tighten-up the slop that was there prior. ;Sweet

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Wow, I have about 1/4 turn, no matter what I do I have never got the "Death Wobble" yet.

I'm going to check and see if HammerDown's trick will work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online