Pitman arm suggestions.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing my steering gear box and ran into a snag. I can't seem to separate the pitman arm from steering linkage. Tried a pitman arm puller and a a pickle fork, won't budge. Any advice or am I not hammering hard enough lol.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah they can be fun...

Have you tried beating the edge of the pitman arm with the puller tightened as far as you can get it? You may need to add some heat to the equation.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
This is where the pickle fork attachment for a air hammer comes in handy.
I watched a guy beat on one for a hour before. Wouldn't budge. Then took it to a shop, guy barely even tapped it with the air hammer. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1992 idi 73

Reaction score
I broke 3 harbor freight pullers before the third one worked. Then wait till you try to get the pitman arm off the steering box, That took the oxy-acetylene torch to get it hot enough to pop it off .-Flame Thr

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
50$ is a lot.
But if you walked in my garage yesterday i would have paid for it lol.

They're $30 online. Used it twice because I swapped in a used gear box from a Ford Ranger with a different pitman arm. Didn't break or bend and actually fit the arm. Cheap ones were too small.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I broke 3 harbor freight pullers before the third one worked. Then wait till you try to get the pitman arm off the steering box, That took the oxy-acetylene torch to get it hot enough to pop it off .-Flame Thr

I used the puller to get the arm off of the box.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.