Pissed, and need some advice.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
So last week, Gary posted a link to ebay. Uhaul was selling off 3 "New" IP's. Seeing as I need a new IP, and the price was right. I jumped all over it.

Finally got it today.... and I'm pissed:

As you can see from the photos, someone dropped it while packing it up... (the shipping box and packing were in pristine condition so FedEx didn't do it) then drug it around for a bit, you know just for fun. It's got a second skin of metal filings, then there's the Diesel Logic rebuild tag. So, not new. Not new by any definition.

Can I trust this pump to run after being dropped pretty hard, and stored in a bin of oily metal shavings? (all the caps appear to be intact) Am I just being pissy about the "new" tag on the listing? $505 shipped is still a steal for a rebuilt pump after all. I am going to sleep on it, and cool down so I can talk civilly to them tomorrow. But what would you guys do?

Attachments

• Optimized-20131001_183747.jpg
    Optimized-20131001_183747.jpg
    550.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Optimized-20131001_183718.jpg
    Optimized-20131001_183718.jpg
    595.3 KB · Views: 97

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Such a good price, so I'd keep my cool on phone for a bit and just ask for an exchange.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be pissed too. Even putting the damage aside, you paid for a new pump and that's what you should have received!!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is NO way I would keep that pump. You paid for a new one, contact U-haul and tell them about the condition of it, also that it's not a new IP, you want to talk to Frank, He's a pretty square guy. Hell, I'll sell you one that has been remaned by Diesel Logic for $350 shipped, pretty sure I have two left from U-haul. PM me if interested.

Be sure and keep the packageing so you can send it back.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Open an eBay case, which is perfectly justified due to item not as described. I did a LOT of inventory liquidation for the company I used to work for, mostly on eBay, so I can tell you that the seller will either offer you a full refund to avoid you giving negative feedback, or, more likely than that, he'll offer you some money back on the pump. eBay policy is for you to open the case, then they help mediate it. I'll bet you can at least get like another $50, $100 or so off the pump.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ours arrived today also, new as described. Did anyone on this site buy the third one? I'd be curious as to what it looks
like.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Email the uhaul site first, I have had many conversations with frank. They have minimum wage people packing this stuff, if there is a new one to be had in the system he will send it to you.
If they dont have one he will refund you.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
So last week, Gary posted a link to ebay. Uhaul was selling off 3 "New" IP's. Seeing as I need a new IP, and the price was right. I jumped all over it.

Finally got it today.... and I'm pissed:

As you can see from the photos, someone dropped it while packing it up... (the shipping box and packing were in pristine condition so FedEx didn't do it) then drug it around for a bit, you know just for fun. It's got a second skin of metal filings, then there's the Diesel Logic rebuild tag. So, not new. Not new by any definition.

Can I trust this pump to run after being dropped pretty hard, and stored in a bin of oily metal shavings? (all the caps appear to be intact) Am I just being pissy about the "new" tag on the listing? $505 shipped is still a steal for a rebuilt pump after all. I am going to sleep on it, and cool down so I can talk civilly to them tomorrow. But what would you guys do?

I doubt that the damage was done by accident. I think some of their employees do it for fun.

I stopped buying from UHaul after several packages arrived in a similar condition. The idiots that packaged my air filters crushed them so hard the steel mesh was ripped away from the rubber edges. My brake calipers arrived with just a few pieces of cardboard still attached, and the smaller parts missing. Absolutely no evidence of any packing material being used. My glow plugs were just thrown into a large box with lots of other heavy parts, and many were obviously bent.

Frank is a nice guy, but I got tired of all the hassles dealing with damaged parts.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I know Frank will fix this for you but I'm not sure your going to recieve another new pump. If they have one that great. Frank is a fair guy to deal with. As far as I recall back when uhaul was selling off much of their inventory they had some issues but made things right. If that pump was the only pump left on the dark side of the moon and I needed it to get home then yes. I would run it but I'm not sure your thats far out there to need this "not as advertised item". You have rights but be nice and that will take you a long way in this deal. No matter what. You will get a full refund because you paid for new but got used. Keep us posted how easy this turns out for you.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've dealt with Uhaul on a return even after a year they stood up and refunded my money and let me keep the wrong part. I bought an a/c compressor and got an alternator - and I never opened the box for a year and they still took care of me.;Sweet I've had nothing but wonderful experiences when dealing with Uhaul. Just message them through ebay and they'll take care of you. No doubts!

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea of the reputation of idi performance, though I know Mr Mel has been on the forum scene for a long time. I have also met this nice man, and he seems to have a lot of character. That being said, maybe idiperformance is just as good. I dont know of anyone running any of his products though.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a real shame. Obviously whoever packaged that has no pride in their companies reputation. I wonder what kind of warranty U-Haul provides? If they offer one at all, I certainly wouldn't accept it without contacting them. They need to know this item was damaged. A pump that is dropped (if that is what happened) could certainly have problems with the advance, or potentially any sealing area where the soft alluminum case could have been damaged. Depending on how hard it hit, the plastic governor sleeve could be cracked, or if it is one of the pumps that has one, the little ball that holds the governor cage to the rotor may have popped out. But you might hear that if you shake it.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Well, I got in contact with Frank, and he of course made it right.

SO according to him, NONE of the pumps were ever new, they were rebuilds that were never run. It was a communication/listing error. He then tracked down another pump, and had it shipped to me. It's a Stanadyne rebuild, identical to the one vegas30 got. Including the fact that it is not drilled for the VRV pin. However it looks really good, and the tag says it has a 3k gov spring.

THEN, then he refunded me 1/2 of what I payed: "because the item was not as listed." So, I think I ended up coming out on top.

ALWAYS be nice, no matter how pissed you are. Catch more flies with honey and all that. And U-Haul WILL take very good care of you. It just might take some time sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online