pinion bearings

fuelscrew

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
The time has come to finnaly fix my 4ewheel drive gotta replace front diff pinion bearings the question that I have is if I remove the front diff and axles can the truck still be driven with out them. I don't have another vehicle and I'm not sure if that's the only parts needed it was never put in 4wheel after the bearing went so I'm hoping that's all I need. Input would be appreciated.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
If you just plan on replacing the pinion bearing I think you could do it an in hour or two. You can do that with the carrier in the truck. Now are you planning on doing the carrier bearings too? Then you will have to remove the whole carrier, but I see no reason why you cant remove the carrier and run the truck as is.

The way I did my diff was to cut the old bearings off with a dremel and used the old bearing to hammer on the new one after heating the new bearing in the oven. Just make sure all the shims go back in the proper places. You will need new seals too.

fuelscrew

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
i was pretty sure there is an inner and outer bearing on the danna and with the amount of slop thats in the pinion itself im confident that it needs both. i never had a danna apart other than doing axle bearings at work on a jeep so im just goin by what the parts store said when i called for a price on a pinion bearing. if its just an outer im gonna feel stupid cause ive been putting this off since i bought the truck, kid got it stuck mudding with the 36 inch tires oon and instead of waiting to hook up the chain he gave it hell till somethin let loose.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
ok yes the outer bearing you can do really easy. the inner bearing you need to completely disassemble

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online