Pictures inside the precup chamber

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info there Gary. I figured there was a spec on the depth of that. Now that we know that spec, how is it adjusted? Does the head have to be machined if they are out of spec?

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So then, if you install a new cup, it must be ground to match the particular head?

Am I understanding that correctly?

Are new cups available? Or are they on the "you can't get this list"?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Use a depth gauge to tell you how the cup sits in the head. Then its ground off the bottom area of the cup that sits in the head. Say the cup sits at 3 thousands out of the head. That means 1/2 thousands needs to be removed from the cup. If a machine shop has the expensive head & block surfacer cutter head you can just install them in the head and cut them being careful not to cut the head. Yes, New cips are available but very expensive.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics, it seems crazy that all the go go juice comes into the cylinder through that little slit in the cup

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
The company I work for does resurface welding of cracked components using a laser, I wonder if it would be worth repairing those cracks or is it not that expensive to replace the parts?

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, $15 each for NEW?

That's really way less than I thought. Seems that everyone so far has been saying they are "damn expensive" . Hell, I pay more than double that for an airplane spark plug.

Please confirm they were "new parts".. Thanks

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't have contact information for those folks handy?

I'm getting ready to do a head gasket job on my 92, 7.3, studs and guides and seals, check for cracks etc etc.. sure would be handy to just pop in a fresh set of pre-cups and call that part good at least.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Wow, those look nice, I too have always heard them referred to as "expensive" this is the first I've seen a number put to the cups

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Runningaford

Reaction score
Great informational thread; thanks a lot. My truck's running good, may look into the timing, but sooner than later I'd like to get an old engine off of Craigslist, and save a little money for a good build. Thanks!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
New cups have the 88 numbers cast into them. They are the better factory cups and are supposedly the best money can buy. Not sure where or what those are in the great pic. I'm not seeing the 88 on them. Sadly the omly way to know what any material is will be to test it. Usually that requires you destroy it. But some jewellery shops have an electronic scanner that tells them what metals you are selling them. Some scrap yards have them also especially for aluminum material. I forgot how many different aluminum compositions are out there but its a lot.

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are the precups I bought from diesel cast welding it's the same ones used in their offshore heads. When I was hunting ford wanted almost 100.00 apiece for OEM I believe it was RIOTWARRIOR turned me onto them. I should have done side by sides with the OEM precup. But they work great so far

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online