Pics of my 7.3 IDI Buildup...

IHDiesel445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For cold weather starting, I'm using a powerstroke intake heater. Worst case, I'll point a heat gun at the air filter. Used to do that on an old 4 cylinder Deere with no installed heater whatsoever. It would turn over twice and fire right up that way, but you could forget it without the heatgun.

As for a time frame on mine, it has been very time/money dependent (like most things in life), but most of the money part is done. I'm going to see how much headway I can make on it this weekend, but startup wont be for about a month. It's been HOT here. Literally 110 in the shade with about 90% humidity. Makes EVERYTHING miserable to do.

I'll look around and see if I have any better head gasket pics than what I posted. I know there's not much detail there.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
I might of missed it somewhere, but are you going to be using glow plugs too? I still think it would be pretty hard to start in cool weather with 17.5:1 cr using gp's and intake heater. the psd intake heater doesnt do much IMO. a buddy of mine had a psd with 2 gps bad, and even with the intake heater it took ALOT of cranking to get her to fire up. maybe some sort of grid heater like the cummins uses would be better. just an idea.

IHDiesel445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, the intake heater on a powerstroke is only active below freezing during extended idle periods to prevent white smoke. It's only there for emissions. Nothing to do with starting.

I'm getting rid of the glowplugs because I don't want the tips melting off and doing damage anywhere else.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Actually, the intake heater on a powerstroke is only active below freezing during extended idle periods to prevent white smoke. It's only there for emissions. Nothing to do with starting.

I'm getting rid of the glowplugs because I don't want the tips melting off and doing damage anywhere else.

guess thats why it barely started LOL. so how are you goin to use the intake heater? have it wired kinda like a push button gp?

IHDiesel445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to compare the resistance of the intake heater vs the 8 glow plugs. If they are close enough I might try to use the GP controller for it. The heater will go into the hole on the back of the manifold where the CDR used to go. I got rid of the CDR to use the valley pan hole for the turbo drain, and to install a pan-e-vac system in the valve covers. That happened because at 4500 rpm, if that CDR starts to pass oil into the intake... runaway. Very bad day.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Glad to see this project is still under way! Keep us updated man, can't wait to see the finished build. ;Sweet

EDIT: I'd kill for some starting and driving videos once you finish. :sly

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eric......Like the others have said.......... it is looking good and it coming along nicely. I too can't wait to see the end result.:hail

Heath

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to compare the resistance of the intake heater vs the 8 glow plugs. If they are close enough I might try to use the GP controller for it. The heater will go into the hole on the back of the manifold where the CDR used to go. I got rid of the CDR to use the valley pan hole for the turbo drain, and to install a pan-e-vac system in the valve covers. That happened because at 4500 rpm, if that CDR starts to pass oil into the intake... runaway. Very bad day.

If you don't mind me asking, what is a pan-e-vac?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Its the PCV style caps in the valve covers that use a down draft tube to "evac" the gasses that would normally go through the CDR into the intake.

SWS

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I just want to hear an IDI spinning 5000 rpm, as long as it is not mine.

You have already herd one spinning close to that:D i need to bring her back from the dead, that old motor just wouldnt ever give up, even at the many times i had it pegged to 4500 rpm and 25+psi of boost, i expected rod to be flying

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here we go, thats the kind of goodies ive been looking for. Glad to know there is someone who has gone slightly beyond what i am planning. Only real differences i can see are I will be running around 19-1 CR with an intercooled compound turbo setup, oh and i dont see myself spinning much faster than 4k. Which is all totally understandable as yours is built for pulling and mine will be more street /strip /towing. Im curious, how did you "shorten" the rods? I was thinking about offset grinding the main journals to destroke some if necessary to drop the compression. Im not totally sure if im sold on dishing the pistons, they are in alot of ways the "heat sink" inside the motor and less material would mean they heat up faster. Still looking into finding a set of forged slugs that can be transplanted into my build, and hopefully bleed off the compression that route.
Love the build and the pics, im sure im repeating, and speak for the rest of us, keep us posted!!

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here we go, thats the kind of goodies ive been looking for. Glad to know there is someone who has gone slightly beyond what i am planning. Only real differences i can see are I will be running around 19-1 CR with an intercooled compound turbo setup, oh and i dont see myself spinning much faster than 4k. Which is all totally understandable as yours is built for pulling and mine will be more street /strip /towing. Im curious, how did you "shorten" the rods? I was thinking about offset grinding the main journals to destroke some if necessary to drop the compression. Im not totally sure if im sold on dishing the pistons, they are in alot of ways the "heat sink" inside the motor and less material would mean they heat up faster. Still looking into finding a set of forged slugs that can be transplanted into my build, and hopefully bleed off the compression that route.
Love the build and the pics, im sure im repeating, and speak for the rest of us, keep us posted!!

Glad to hear someone else is going to try to do a good build. When are you going to start on your build? And what are your complete plans for it? Maybe start a tread with your build plans. Also, I'm originally from Twin Falls, ID. Right now I'm stationed in San Diego but my truck is still in Twin. I can't wait to have it transported here so I can do all my mods to it! ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online