Pics of my 7.3 IDI Buildup...

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok... so that's a semi turbo right?? Just curious, but wont you have a hard time spooling the turbo? and if you could spool it, wouldnt your engine be screaming and almost not road driveable? With such low compression, it would have to be an ether started diesel. And with so much fuel needed, how will you get enough fuel there with the prechamber? Direct injection would be better wouldn't it? it wouldn't have any obstruction especially with such a big turbo pushing more air. Idk just a thought...and just brainstorming

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you would have to bypass the pre combustion chamber. if its possible. no way enough fuel and air could get there cuz the piston dont have a bowl or anything

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
you would have to bypass the pre combustion chamber. if its possible. no way enough fuel and air could get there cuz the piston dont have a bowl or anything

What are you trying to say?

The fuel is not injected until after the intake cycle and the air is compressed. :dunno

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wait, lol sorry i was a little fuzzy on the last post. Wasn't fully concentrated. i mean that with this guys setup, in order to get the power gains he is probably looking for he would have to have such low compression it would hardly start good and the fact that there is a pre combustion chamber makes it so the process is slowed down a lot

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It says photos are currently unavailable...

BUT from what i can see from the thumbnails it looks awesome!

Don't know what web browser you use but I use firefox. I was having the same problem but if i right click on one of the pictures and select "Open link in new tab" I am able to view them all.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
17:1 compression ratio and 5000 RPM huh? Glad to see your sticking your nose out there. :popcorn

Your craftsmanship looks top notch. ;Sweet

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I like the dog lying in the corner. Seriously though, where did you get flanges for the headers? Also, in order for you to make use of that turbo, you are really going to need a different setup. Compressing air makes it HOT. BUT I LOVE the build...

SWS

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the dog lying in the corner. Seriously though, where did you get flanges for the headers? Also, in order for you to make use of that turbo, you are really going to need a different setup. Compressing air makes it HOT. BUT I LOVE the build...

SWS

IDk thats a pretty big turbo so it might not heat the air up too much at all. The compressor should be pretty efficient. Just my opinion though.

IHDiesel445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer everyone's questions...

Why no intercooler? Going to use water injection. Just driving on the street "normal" driving won't build enough boost to get the air that hot. Hooked to a sled on the other hand...

The manifold flanges are from Stan's Headers. Well made pieces that run about $120 a pair. They are something like 3/8 thick and the ports are sized to accept 1 7/8" tubing.

I achieved 17.5:1 compression by having the rods reconditioned (and consequently shortened a hair), .010 shorter pistons with a .040 deep dish cut in them.

As for the camshaft, it's stock. The kind folks at Hypermax said for the money you'll spend on developing a grind and actually getting it done, the gains are minimal at best. A lesson they learned from building those fabled 1100hp IDI's back in the day. Don't waste money on a cam for a boosted application. Spend it elsewhere.

Yes, I am currently in the Navy, stationed in Norfolk, but I live in Suffolk. Only two weeks left in service though. Right now I'm job hunting... Any takers? LOL

Again, thanks to all for the kind remarks and advice!

P.S. When I started this project I estimated it would run about $6K to get it done. So far, I'm hitting pretty close to my budget. Still WAY cheaper than a new truck...

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is one big turbo!

I'm curious to see how that will spool up as well.

Interesting placement also. Where will the downpipe go, down through the fenderwell or something?

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the turbo placement...reminds me of an old 6v92T screaming Detroit:yell:

Last edited:

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Before you say no on an aftermarket cam, Type4 sells a torque grind cam. I am NA right now, but I put one in mine and with the porting and cam, it runs a TON better than it did factory. Now, I can not tell you what it does with a boosted vehicle, but I will tell you that if I had a turbo, I would still have purchased one from him.

SWS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US