picked up an awesome new IDI, might have f-ed up using starting fluid

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since there was Brownish gunk and whatnot in the filter, check it again in a few days, if you get some more, plan on pulling the fuel tanks and clean em out. Don't know your location, but in a warm climate there is a possibilty of algea in the tanks. Sure hope there isn't. If there is we'll tell you *********** it. Run the **** outa it.it'll take it.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Noise on startup is probably piston slap, not valves. Ether creates an uncontrolled burn, so fire is happening until the ether and other combustibles are oxidized rather than only on the combustion stroke. Should not hurt the engine in your case, but sounds awful.

Nice looking rig. You up near Marinette?

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noise on startup is probably piston slap, not valves. Ether creates an uncontrolled burn, so fire is happening until the ether and other combustibles are oxidized rather than only on the combustion stroke. Should not hurt the engine in your case, but sounds awful.

Nice looking rig. You up near Marinette?

definitely sounded awful for about 5 seconds, and thanks i'm about 150 miles nw of marinette.

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
finally got more time to mess with the new truck, pulled the new fuel filter and found more gunk so I ended up pulling the front tank and going through the entire fuel system, here is what i found in the tank:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

so i ended up ordering a brand new front tank as this one seemed beyond saving and am just running 1 tank for now as the rear one is probably just as bad, truck runs good though!

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i ended up ordering a brand new front tank as this one seemed beyond saving and am just running 1 tank for now as the rear one is probably just as bad, truck runs good though!
Another score for dual tanks. Nice to be able to keep a running truck using one tank while you're waiting/working on the other, eh...

And while you're waiting, you can eff around with that horn and get it working.

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another score for dual tanks. Nice to be able to keep a running truck using one tank while you're waiting/working on the other, eh...

And while you're waiting, you can eff around with that horn and get it working.

yep, I'll be purchasing a new 38 gallon rear tank with my next paycheck! my airbags & horn are fed by a cheap 12v compressor installed behind the seat that isn't putting any air out at this time- it's got a gauge on it- looks like one taken out of one of those cigarette lighter tire inflators. I'm going to check into my options for belt driven compressors if anyone has any leads? the truck has a 20 gallon airtank installed underneath and I'd like to put in a Kenworth air seat I purchased recently to complete the "mini-semi"!

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you don't have A/C, you can mount an old York compressor.
Keep it full of oil, and it will run for a good long time. Use the clutch.

With a little more effort, you can run one of the type that is on my winch truck:
http://www.plazafleetparts.com/air-compressors.html

Or get one of the RV/off-road electrics:
http://www.truckspring.com/Search.aspx?p=Air-Compressor-Kits&c=Standard-Duty-Air-Compressors

I was wondering about using one off a cat and how hard they'd be to install, seen them for sale on clist from time to time for reasonable prices.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was the second option. What I call the Bendix type. Made for continuous running.
Built-in unloader. Uses engine oil pressure. It needs a special mounting, so the oil can
drain back into the pan/block. Generally heavier duty than the equivalent compressor
with a closed crankcase (the single-stage kind you find on lots of shop compressors).
Anything with air brakes will have a similar pump.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, that is the kind of truck deal I've been trying to find. Everyone up here wants $6000+ for crew cab IDI's unless they are totally rusted out. Bought my single cab from a local farmer for $1300 bucks and was the only reasonably priced IDI truck I've ever seen up here. Finding an easily fixable non-runner would be awsome!