picked up an awesome new IDI, might have f-ed up using starting fluid

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
found this awesome '87 F350 CC in my sig for cheap I couldn't say no to! thing had been sitting with a no-start issue since last year which ended up being glow plug controller failure, when i got it home i was eager to see if it would start so i confirmed i had fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the filter head then disconnected the glow plugs and gave it a shot of ether. it started but made quite a valve racket for a couple seconds that went away but smoked white/blue pretty bad and ran rough for a few minutes. I shut it off then started it again- started fine still blew a little blue smoke not too much, took it for a 20 mile ride and the smoke gradually went away and it ran good with good power/oil pressure/coolant temp but i still have a little valve noise- i assume it's valve noise kind of cracking sounds i don't have with my '86. Question is did i screw anything up by using the starting fluid to get it going? Thanks for all the help, everything i now know about these awesome trucks i learned on this forum!

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as the plugs were disconnected, and you used the smallest amount of ether possible, it shouldn't have damaged anything.

The valve noise may have been simply discovering another issue that the truck had already.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice truck. Sure it just isn't the injectors cackling? If you just used a little spirt of start fluid, it shouldn't have hurt anything, it sure wouldn't make the valves make a cracking sound. Look at the IP and see if the mechanical advance is free and not stuck inward. You should be able to push it in and it should pop back out.

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as the plugs were disconnected, and you used the smallest amount of ether possible, it shouldn't have damaged anything.

The valve noise may have been simply discovering another issue that the truck had already.

plugs were definitely disconnected, may have used a little too much ether- of course both batteries were beyond dead and my charger wasn't working so I jump started it and it didn't have enough umph to start right away so i gave it 2 shots of ether.

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice truck. Sure it just isn't the injectors cackling? If you just used a little spirt of start fluid, it shouldn't have hurt anything, it sure wouldn't make the valves make a cracking sound. Look at the IP and see if the mechanical advance is free and not stuck inward. You should be able to push it in and it should pop back out.

i was just wondering why it blasted out so much smoke at first until i shut it down and restarted it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it sat a while, the noise and smoke may not be related. Could be stuck rings working loose. Noise as Bill suggested may be injector related.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well not being there to hear and see what went on its hard to say. My thoughts are you have not done any harm using crack in a can. I know a well known member that just wont replace his glow plugs. So he uses ether every cold start. Its been years doing this and not one issue with harming the engine. Its knowing how much to use that counts. In my past I have used so much ether on 2 6.9 engines that the intake wat soaking wet. but no start or even any tail pipe smoke. Id didn't even suck in thru the intake air horn and yes.. We had the filter off so there was no air intake rat nesy. Thos engines had a broken cam or compression so low it could not make fire. Nice looking rig too.. Enjoy the ride and please keep the pics coming.

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well not being there to hear and see what went on its hard to say. My thoughts are you have not done any harm using crack in a can. I know a well known member that just wont replace his glow plugs. So he uses ether every cold start. Its been years doing this and not one issue with harming the engine. Its knowing how much to use that counts. In my past I have used so much ether on 2 6.9 engines that the intake wat soaking wet. but no start or even any tail pipe smoke. Id didn't even suck in thru the intake air horn and yes.. We had the filter off so there was no air intake rat nesy. Thos engines had a broken cam or compression so low it could not make fire. Nice looking rig too.. Enjoy the ride and please keep the pics coming.

starting to feel better about it, just got paranoid I screwed something up, thanks guys! It does run great with all kinds of power compared to my non-turbo '86, guess i'll just drive it for awhile and monitor things closely. I did change the fuel filter before i tried starting it and thank god i did- I'm not kidding the bottom half was brown diesel with chunks, never seen anything like that before!

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try warming the engine up, using some good engine flush, and fresh oil and filter to quiet down the valve noise.

Oil may be at the end of it's change time, it's been setting, and lifters are likely full of junk also, like the fuel filter was. Worth a try.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Fill your new fuel filter with ATF then run for about 10 mins shut engine off let sit over night
then start. My 86 was doing the same thing a dose of ATF and she runs a lot smoother now.

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
excellent ideas, they are next on the agenda when i get home from work tonight, thanks!

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, that big **** of smoke on start happens if you have to crank a lot before she kicks. The IP is constantly tossing fuel in there, and when she does light up it may rev a sec and burn/push that excess fuel out in a nice cloud.

Happens to my cranky wmo burner on cold mornings