pic of a super charged 7.3 idi that's pulling

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh ok. And ya the even had a Dmax with a positive displacement SC on it to. It looked pretty awesome.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm freinds with garret shields or how ever you spell it he's the owner of pure diesel power anyway on Facebook and he posted this pic of a super charged 7.3 idi that's supposed to be pulling some where today thought i'd share it ;Sweet

garret just said It's a supercharger off a 3.8GTP. 2lbs of boost!

Getting back to the original topic: any more details on this set up :dunno

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grandfather has a 8v-92 blower......LOL Might be a little big

actually, that might be good. the size might be a bit of problem, but the shear displacement would allow for a larger pulley, meanin lower SC rotor speeds to achieve the same boost pressures, resultin in less parasitic loss, and heat production. a 8-92 is designed to provide boost to a 736 c.i. motor, so a 420-444 c.i. would be SUPER easy to get 7-9 psi on.

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im likin the idea of the GM 3800 charger, should be easy to find and kinda cheap, better yet, i think i know where one is off a buick. What about using a liquid to air intercooler in the intake, kinda like ford did / does on the SC'd 5.4 and 5.0 in the GT and mustang. Granted this is surely going to require a custom intake, but i already had that much planned anyway. Other route, doing a ic'd setup like 88 is talkin, shorten the nose on the SC, mount it onto of the IP and use an intake hat of a turbo kit or similar. I still am not sure if you would want the turbo blowing through the blower. more like a twin setup have the charge pipes Y-together and go through the intercooler.

Now to the REAL problem at hand, i have v-belts, not serpentine lol.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually, that might be good. the size might be a bit of problem, but the shear displacement would allow for a larger pulley, meanin lower SC rotor speeds to achieve the same boost pressures, resultin in less parasitic loss, and heat production. a 8-92 is designed to provide boost to a 736 c.i. motor, so a 420-444 c.i. would be SUPER easy to get 7-9 psi on.

Or you could put a smaller pully on and push it a lil bit. :D I doubt pushin a lil bit will heat the boost much if at all and I still think it would make really good power. There is actually a gur over at the Diesel Place putting a roots type blower on a 6.2 and I making a duel pump setup for it also. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im likin the idea of the GM 3800 charger, should be easy to find and kinda cheap, better yet, i think i know where one is off a buick. What about using a liquid to air intercooler in the intake, kinda like ford did / does on the SC'd 5.4 and 5.0 in the GT and mustang. Granted this is surely going to require a custom intake, but i already had that much planned anyway. Other route, doing a ic'd setup like 88 is talkin, shorten the nose on the SC, mount it onto of the IP and use an intake hat of a turbo kit or similar. I still am not sure if you would want the turbo blowing through the blower. more like a twin setup have the charge pipes Y-together and go through the intercooler.

Now to the REAL problem at hand, i have v-belts, not serpentine lol.

Why don't you think you wouldn't want it blowing through the SC? It should handle it I would think.

And as for the V-belt, I have a double V-belt pulley on mine so that's easy...

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hairy did you see the pics of mine earlier in the thread? If you haven't take a look at it.

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why don't you think you wouldn't want it blowing through the SC? It should handle it I would think.

And as for the V-belt, I have a double V-belt pulley on mine so that's easy...

They do twin turbos and blow through the supercharger on the ford gt40 super cars. The problem is, if your turbo will flow less than the blower, it's not going to work right.

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just figured the blower would restrict the turbo once it spools up, assuming the turbo is moving more air than the blower. Perhaps this is wrong

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do twin turbos and blow through the supercharger on the ford gt40 super cars. The problem is, if your turbo will flow less than the blower, it's not going to work right.

I have heard about the GT40 setups before. And yeah I plan to upgrade my turbo eventually. I do wanna get an ATS 088 and see how it spools too. It will just take some experimentation but it should spool a turbo well and should work pretty well with an 088 if I keep it at 20 psi.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just figured the blower would restrict the turbo once it spools up, assuming the turbo is moving more air than the blower. Perhaps this is wrong

The blower would be like the same affect of putting boost into an engine. There is a fixed volume of air going through the SC just like there is a certain volume going into an engine theoretically. So the SC is further compressing air that has already been compressed and forces it into the engine. Due to this, I don't believe you need to bypass the blower unless you are pushing an insane amount of boost into it.

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Since the blower is a fixed displacement, and it's going to move what it is going to move at a given rpm, I don't think it would restrict a whole lot. The turbo is just essentially feeding a bigger engine than a 6.9 or 7.3.

The reason I'm looking into an m90 setup, is because I just put on a 70mm turbo that is having a hard time spooling. If I get the m90 and run 8psi of boost, it will be like putting that turbo on a 10.6l engine rather than my 6.9.

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan to upgrade my turbo eventually. I do wanna get an ATS 088
Not sure those two belong in the same post :rotflmao That turbo came out in 1988... in 6 years and some change it will be a classic, since then we have these nifty things called computers that allow us to make waaaay more efficient turbos. Running a blower inline i would be looking more towards something like a WG s366 or hx50w. From the small amount of reading ive gotten accomplished the air the blower is forcing through, whether to burn extra fuel or not, is in essence spooling the turbo, causing it to light faster than normal, potentially even better than twins depending on setup and application. Have a nice big turbo on there waiting to spool from say 2k-2200 up to 4k at 20lbs+ and still be right in the middle of the map. An 088.... couldnt do that efficiently if you put an afterburner on it and fed it jet fuel.

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The blower would be like the same affect of putting boost into an engine. There is a fixed volume of air going through the SC just like there is a certain volume going into an engine theoretically. So the SC is further compressing air that has already been compressed and forces it into the engine. Due to this, I don't believe you need to bypass the blower unless you are pushing an insane amount of boost into it.

My first thought after reading that, sounds like compounding the heat problem. But i was also thinking about the Y thing, the boost the blower made would probably overflow out of the turbo, or slow its spooling or something else undesireable. If all else fails, lets build it, shove a boost gauge between the turbo and SC, and one after the SC and see what happens. Its too late to think this hard. To be continued.