pic of a super charged 7.3 idi that's pulling

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if it did run,

attachment.php

that, does not look efficient in the least bit. Especially with the monster thats on top of it.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A SC would keep egts down if set up correctly. It would burn all the fuel down low and if you have a turbo for the top end it would be an awesome setup. The turbo blowing into the supercharger is what I am going to do. Here is an awesome setup that I have seen. Its not an idi... but its awesome! I posted it in another thread but not many people saw it so here it is for some ideas for you guys.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98...ercharged.html

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...d.php?t=110216

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also here is my SC and mount. The turbo will blow into the SC and then will go to the intercooler then to the intake. It will be regulated to 20 psi. I believe that using all the extra fuel down low will allow me to add more fuel without over fueling it, thus keeping egts down. I think that would also make it a good setup for towing. Here are some pics of my setup also. My friend built a 3" cowl hood to fit it under the hood.

Attachments

• IMG-20110703-00084.jpg
    IMG-20110703-00084.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG-20110703-00086.jpg
    IMG-20110703-00086.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG-20110703-00083.jpg
    IMG-20110703-00083.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 34

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also a bit more info other supercharged Cummins. He has built two kits now and they both work well. The second one is nicer though. He says it tows better and really spools his big turbo well. Right now he is actually testing a third setup where he is using an Hx40 for the secondary and the SC as the bigger primary. Its just awesome how is experimenting with so many setups. But anyway read through the thread its interesting! Here are some videos also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okn7MTZ0OWA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N98beMP9QNw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Here are also some videos of the first kit he sold to guy in Cali. It works pretty well too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0SgJIwTn3A&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV5B95M3EKc&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also here is my SC and mount. The turbo will blow into the SC and then will go to the intercooler then to the intake. It will be regulated to 20 psi. I believe that using all the extra fuel down low will allow me to add more fuel without over fueling it, thus keeping egts down. I think that would also make it a good setup for towing. Here are some pics of my setup also. My friend built a 3" cowl hood to fit it under the hood.

Now that looks decent. Man I think Im falling in love with the idea of a SC. So simple. This might be the route I go when the time comes.

I would think properly set up with a normal psi, and maybe some headers, that 40-50+hp and 100+lbs would be a conservative gain estimate. And probably all below 2,5k.:D

Ill be following this subject from now on....:sly

wmoguy

Reaction score
It's neat and different for sure.

Seems to me for equal or less money a guy could fab up twins for our truck and get all the low end and top end boost he wants without the parasitic loss a supercharger will give off.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those Empire Diesel Prochargers are insane! They make really good power and spool the turbos pretty well.

And as for twins they would also make good power but there still would be a slight amount of lag compared to what a supercharger would have when combined with a turbo. But I don't think you can go wrong either way and plus there is always the cool factor...

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that looks decent. Man I think Im falling in love with the idea of a SC. So simple. This might be the route I go when the time comes.

I would think properly set up with a normal psi, and maybe some headers, that 40-50+hp and 100+lbs would be a conservative gain estimate. And probably all below 2,5k.:D

Ill be following this subject from now on....:sly

You should try it man! A lot of people only believe in turbos but in my opinion boost is boost. With superchargers today, there is minimal power lost compared to old roots blowers and no matter what they are still going to make power. From what I have also seen, Chevy 6.2 and 6.5 diesels do really well with being blown so why wouldn't a Ford idi?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i say a centrifugal supercharger mounted where the A/C is located would be ****. A fellow over on FTE rigged one on an EFI 300 and said it boosted incredibly fast but eventually blew the headgasket ha. So much for that idea for my 300...

As for the IDI, even if ya rig it with a turbo it should produce similiar results and keep the overall packaging down.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i say a centrifugal supercharger mounted where the A/C is located would be ****. A fellow over on FTE rigged one on an EFI 300 and said it boosted incredibly fast but eventually blew the headgasket ha. So much for that idea for my 300...

As for the IDI, even if ya rig it with a turbo it should produce similiar results and keep the overall packaging down.

Dude seriously watch all the Empire Diesel Procharged trucks on youtube.You would be amazed by all of them! There is a Ford 6.0, 7.3. and Chevy Dmax. They are pretty cool. As I said before, boost is boost and no matter if it a turbo or supercharger it will still make more power cus we are gettin more air into the engine.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is diesel rags? And ya its definitely killer. I'm sure you could do that and still keep your A/C still but you would just have to build some sort of mount. Or... you could build a mount like the one in this thread and cool the boost with water/methanol injection.