Permanent clear lines for return setup...

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I monitor my return line temp for my front tank. Have seen 170 degrees on a hot summer day.

N.E fjord-by-fjord 2fiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK... Didn't know which of my two recent threads to put this in, but I decided this one. Mostly because it popped up first, and has the most members chiming in...

So I said I'd post after I did the electric pump install... Finished up last night. Installed all new fuel lines from FTSV forward... Carter pump (w relay and 10 amp inline fuse)... and an inline pressure gauge just before the filterhead for easy viewing to make sure I get my 6psi i want. (or close)

Everything went smooth (as it could, laying in 36F mud... :mad: )....

Primed her, started her... aaaaaaand. Still coughing and sending unspent fuel out the exhaust. Now... It was getting dark when I was finishing, so I didn't check every hose junction... But I did look at the clear inline filter, and I was very surprised. (It's one of those little Wix ones). It would only ever fill up half way.... So it was sending a bubbly fuel/air mixture through the pump. This would explain why (with all the air in the line) that I was only registering 2-3psi at the filterhead.

So, I'll check my hose connections... I have the feeling that my FTSV out/return barbs are smaller thatn 3/8... I think they are for 5/16 hose... I'll take a little 5/16 hose, and a brass male/male to connect to the Wix inline. To me it seems most likely that if it is pulling air in from somewhere the problem now has to be related to the FTSV, especially since I'm pulling from a full tank in the front... I doubt that old sender is the culprit.

Does this next step sound like the right logic...?
What size hose barbs do others have coming from their FTSV's (and are they OEM/non units)? I'm not even sure this one is stock... My '88 had a tank selector that looked way different, but it was a gasser... So I'm not treating that like it's conclusive.

I'll continue to post as I go... Hopefully I can get that McMaster-Car 6519T line soon and throw it on to finish this thread off! :D

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gasser and diesel valves are completely different.
a pic would help.
5/16 return with a 3/8 feed.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you bought the autozone type fsv yes, the hose barbs are smaller on the returns. You can do what I did with mine. Stretch a piece of 1/4 Id (I think) hose over it then slip the fuel hose over it and clamp it down. Check it in my build thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online