Perfect new glow plug harness (Cheap too!)

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Let us know when you test it/use it. I made a harness with bullet connections too but I'm not very impressed with it. This would be a great replacement

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well today i finally finished the bull moose, misters, water intercooler and all rewiring for all the sensors and relays today so i was able to start it. I probably cycled the key 10 times with glow plug relay hooked up while flushing fuel, checking pressure and fixing a fuel leak, then cranked it over a few times - didnt even crack injector lines the pull moose without even giving it throttle started after about the 3rd 20 seconds of cranking. Then i shut it down a fuel more times and started it. I'd say there were probably 20 activations of the glow plugs. connectors at the glow plug controller were warm to the touch, not hot. Everything worked great. WTS light came on like it should, and relay clicked and cycled just like normal. I didnt run it long enough to see if that connector would melt, i havent driven it any where yet.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
My guess is they material they make these harnesses is fairly heat resistant.

I was looking at my harness the other day when I was swapping out a dying alternator. (The bearings went, and were loud enough you could hear them knock and bang over the sound of the 6.0 it was sitting on, running)

The glow plugs for cylinders 5 and 7 are right under the down pipe and turbo.......

You must be registered for see images attach

If you look to the right of the lifting eye, you can see the glow plug harness. The red plug the the #2 is point at, is the hot side out of the turbo, where the down pipe would be.... The reason they have the shape they do at the glow plug end, is because they actually seal the hole the glow plug is in, in the block. Much like the spark plug boots do on a 4.6L Ford Engine's coil-on-plug boot seals the plug hole....

Also, they have the connector body on the other end, because they plug directly into the Glow Plug Module, which you can see bolted to the valve cover, in front of the oil fill....

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow thars a great deal! I ordered from amazon because they are great with returns and I want sure if it would work haha. I'm sure those will be fine and we're the same thing I ordered

jhenegh

Reaction score
What gauge wires are in the harness you bought? Mine sure don't look like 14 gauge, but rather 16 or 18. They're pretty small

jhenegh

Reaction score
Just went and stripped mine. 16ga slot on the strippers fit it best. Insulation is very thin. Should get in on this week once I finish front spring bushings/steering box/brakes etc.

Attachments

• IMG_4881.JPG
    IMG_4881.JPG
    383.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4873.JPG
    IMG_4873.JPG
    554.3 KB · Views: 36

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
How do you plan to join those 4 all into one wire point

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
What gauge wires are in the harness you bought? Mine sure don't look like 14 gauge, but rather 16 or 18. They're pretty small

14 or 16 insulation is very. Thin. 1000 miles and 50ish starts so far

Just went and stripped mine. 16ga slot on the strippers fit it best. Insulation is very thin. Should get in on this week once I finish front spring bushings/steering box/brakes etc.

One thing to remember, I THINK it is one wire per glow plug, not a loop to all 4 like the IDI has. I know that a 6.0 will set a CEL for a bad glow plug, and it knows which one is bad...... (so 8 different possible codes). The Glow Plug Control Module these harnesses plug into is an "intelligent" module, it does more than powering the plugs for a certain time by measuring current draw.......

jhenegh

Reaction score
How do you plan to join those 4 all into one wire point

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Solder into a copper lug. I did my first harness this way, but the bullet connectors I used seem to be the weak link.

The one with the white wires got a little hot on me, but you get the idea

Attachments

• IMG_0940.JPG
    IMG_0940.JPG
    458.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0939.JPG
    IMG_0939.JPG
    405.4 KB · Views: 41
  • copper-terminal-lug-500x500.jpg
    copper-terminal-lug-500x500.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0943.JPG