passenger side valve cover gasket tips

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remove the fuel/air filters and loosen the fuel filter bracket. Use a stubby 1/4 drive ratchet to loosen the valve cover bolts close to the heater box. Lift cover gently then cuss and fight it out.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unhook the batteries.....

The fuel filter tower is pretty close to that alternator terminal.

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be prepared to be aggravated. I've noticed those passenger side valve covers sometimes like to rub the injectors a bit. I can't quite remember but I seem to think the dip stick tube may need to come loose. If it does MAKE SURE you do not let it come out of the block. It's basically impossible to get back in without removing the starter, and the starter is an even bigger ***** to deal with. If it pops out it WILL leak oil, so be careful.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
There's a couple jobs I don't like to do on a IDI. Starting with Replacing the starter
Valve Cover gaskets while in truck
Head Gaskets while in truck
Oh And body mounts.

To replace the passenger side gasket BdCarrillo pretty much summed it up.
The dipstick tube is held in by a bracket undo the bolts and it will rotate out of the way.
Now just hope the PO didn't over do the Rtv.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just took my stick out, but moving the tube may be easier.

Use rubber gaskets, flip the little load spreaders over under the cover bolts (needs to curve away from bolt head) and make sure the rails on the covers are straight.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Either way moving aside was painless. But if you pull it out it gives you a chance to Rtv the tube on mine it was leaking at the connection.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is also why it's nice to keep some sort of wiring disconnect like the factory had in this area. I looked and looked on the internet and could not find how to take the valve cover out. I fought with it all day. If I remember correctly, I ended up taking the aircleaner off, and taking the front of the valve cover and rotating it around to the firewall, and then pulling it toward the driver's side to get it out. It's not fun.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny how I came across this thread right now. Just did my passenger VC gasket today. All I did was take the fuel and air filters off and unplugged the wiring harness. Didn't have to mess with the dipstick. My turbo sure made it a pain though. Rubber Felpro gaskets are pretty good. I didn't use any RTV and have no leaks.

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks that is good news to hear about the dip stick and air filter. An fortunately I don't have a turbo. I'm going to put my Coolant filter tie rods steering column on and then the valve cover. I'm getting there!

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oooh how can i forget all the FUN i had with the Valve cover gasket and dip stick that left me with oil soaked starter .. . Its really not bad but its a BITA . Clean the valve cover real good , i mean clean , clean , use break fluid or similar . thin layer of red RTV to keep gasket in place and don't get RTV happy either

Make sure you torque the valve cover bolts to 8-9lb only More than that is way to much and the ***** is going to leak oil again . I used the OEM rubber ones .. You know you always safe when you use rubber :D

torque them in cross pattern . finger snug and use torque wrench .