Parts Transportation Network?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I had an idea. As some of you know, the IDI guys have what's semi-officially termed the "BOOB Express". The idea is that, if someone purchases a large part (an engine, a complete axle, etc.) that isn't easily shipped and is too far away for the buyer to pick up the part himself, they can see if anyone on the board who lives in the area might be willing to pick it up and transport it part of the way to its destination.

As it stands, most of these people post their requests on the IDI forum.

My idea is this...would it be reasonable to create a new sub-forum for this purpose? There are two reasons for this. First, it would give the non-IDI guys more of an opportunity to participate. Second, this sort of thing might benefit from having its own dedicated board. In addition to people making requests, people could, if they wished, post any travel plans they might have to see if anyone happens to need something hauled in that direction at that approximate time. For example, I semi-regularly drive from the S.F. Bay Area to the Los Angeles area, and since my truck's the most reliable vehicle I have at the moment and it's often empty, I would have no problem hauling things for people (unfortunately, I just got back!)...

Just a thought...I'll let the powers-that-be duke it out over whether the thought has merit or not :)

colotow

I refuse to grow up
Reaction score
i think it's a great idea, but my opinion might not mean much, i'm just a little bit out of the area...

but, i'd also suggest that there be a 2nd part, drop and pickup points. once i get back for good, i WILL have a shop/garage, and i already have an engine hoist, even if i wasn't able to haul it partway, i'd be more than willing to let one drop off, until the next could swing by to get it.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Adding a forum slot is simple, I am game for it if you all think it will get utilized. It can be a combination forum for road trips, boob parts express, eye balls etc etc....

Lemme know how you want to handle it and I will try to facilitate it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds great to me....not sure what us Kanuckleheads can offer...but eh...I am game...

I know that I am considering a purchase in Eastern US and need it shipped to WA....yeesh!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds great to me....not sure what us Kanuckleheads can offer...but eh...I am game...

I know that I am considering a purchase in Eastern US and need it shipped to WA....yeesh!
Well, the idea would be that it'd be a national (or international, including Canada) thing :) Heck, I'm a California hippie who's mentioning it, and most of the activity seems to take place on the East Coast!! :D

I like Mike's idea of adding "eye balling" to it, and in addition to parts transport requests, it'd also be good for anyone who might want to meet up if they're passing through another member's town, etc.

Does anyone have any further input? I posted a link to this thread in the IDI board; I hope they're looking at it...please, say something :)

To me, it seems like we're good to go, except any additional feedback on the concept. There's also the traffic issue...need to make sure that everyone knows about it; if no one looks at it and/or uses it, what's the point in it being there? Not sure on the best way to go about that; I'm a terrible salesman :)

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We do have an events and get togethers forum already (for eyeballs and meet/greets), I wonder what would be easier for you all to adapt to, maybe a sub-forum off the E&G forum that could serve as the BOOB Express/Travel Plans forum or just adding your BOOB Express and Travel Plans posts to the E&G?

I kinda like a sub forum for travel plans and boob express under E&G but I would like to facilitate what you all want.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to put the subforums in the basement. That's where all the action is....... and 99% of the broke parts too;Poke LOL

Lounge is pretty popular here too with Bob to entertain us:smoke: :drunk: -Showtits :bail -cuss

:oops: :sorry:

Me personally I catch stuff no matter where stuff is posted by using the "New Posts" button to see what's going on.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kinda like a sub forum for travel plans and boob express under E&G but I would like to facilitate what you all want.
I deliberately left this thread alone for the last few days...wanted to see if anyone else had any input; didn't only want to be talking to Mike, Tom, Tonka, and myself LOL I'm not sure if the lack of responses is due to not many people seeing this thread, or if the idea isn't important enough to enough people to warrant a response. I still think it's a good idea, and the people who have responded seem to agree, but if we're the only ones who know about it, I imagine it won't get too far...

I don't know...I don't want to be too obnoxious ;) but I want to ask again...does anyone else have any input? Even a Yea/Nay would be nice :) I'd like to see this happen, but I'm starting to think that there isn't enough interest to warrant it...please prove me wrong :)

mechanoman

unruly dually
Reaction score
Count me in! I'm in Charleston, South Carolina and am trying to figure out how to get a hardtop for a BMW Z3 from Hagerstown, Maryland area down to Charleston. I'm willing to pay, but am deathly afraid that if UPS or any of those guys get their hands on it that I will only receive little pieces. Anyone in that area that is coming south could definitely pick up some fuel money by transporting that top in the back of their truck, van, etc. Might even be a cold beer or two involved...

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'll be honest this is the first time I've been to the site comments and suggestions forum. Followed the link from the IDI board. I think it's a good idea. It had crossed my mind that all the activity for moving parts in the IDI forum might be better served if it had it's own sub forum. It would be easier to see exactly who needs what moved. I doubt it would be a high traffic area but from the perspective of accessibility I think it would probably grow in time as people more get more aware of it. My .02

I also think the drop off and pickup points is a great idea. I've seen on other forums where they link to a map and the users add their locations to it. The drop off and pickup points could be done this way and it would be a very efficient means of identifying whether or not you can move an item. EDIT Just saw map. The infrastructure is already there.

I have to say that the way these things are handled here is a very unique situation for a forum. It speaks highly of the members for sure.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Staff online