Parking Brake/E-Brake needs adjustment

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
This was on my Dana 70 where the drum is attached to the hub on the inside of the hub instead of stuck on from the outside like on yours, but close enough. That turquoise ring is the outside edge of the hub inner seal:

You must be registered for see images attach

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible I only need to replace the seal on the axle? You can see it here:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The seal you need to replace is in the hub that the end of your axle shaft bolts to. Your studs for the lug nuts attach to it as well.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The seal you need to replace is in the hub that the end of your axle shaft bolts to. Your studs for the lug nuts attach to it as well.

This means I need to remove all the bearings and races? If the bearings are in fine shape I just need the hub oil seals?

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You shouldn’t need to remove the races. They can stay pressed in the hub. You’ll only have to remove them if they need replacement. Just clean and inspect the bearings and races closely when you get it apart.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm picking up a new scotseal and new riveted brake shoes from Napa today. Will report back!

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question about brake shoe replacement… it took awhile for the hub tool to come so I went ahead and replaced the shoes. I kept the old springs and reassembled. Is there anything else I should do after replacing the shoe? I spun that geared wheel out a few clicks and turned the tire with the drum on to make sure I felt some resistance. The brakes didn’t seem to work well while the truck was jacked up and the ebrake still pressed in all the way to the floor. I’m not going to drive it until I fix the hub seal tmrw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calroc