overheating and poor mileage.

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rob,

I think you have more than one thing happening - probably two or three at the same time.

1st - don't rely on the Ford water temperature gauge - install an aftermarket one and you should get a better idea of what is happening.

Thermostat would be the first thing to replace with a new Ford or IH one - then you know for sure you have a good one.

Drain off some coolant and check inside the radiator - are the tubes clear or do you have a mineral build up inside them ? If the tubes are getting plugged you can try using vinegar to clear the blockage. However, vinegar or any acid, doesn't like aluminum - so be warned.

It might be worthwhile removing the radiator and getting it cleaned properly. You might have to replace the radiator if it is the original. If your radiator cannot handle the heat load when pulling uphill, even with new fan clutch and water pump you will still overheat.

For comparison - in my old 86 F250 with 6.9, C6 and 3.55 rear end, I could pull an 8,000 lb trailer all over BC and through the mountains in general, without any problems. I drive to keep the temperatures at a reasonable level - and, often have to slow down and use the 2nd gear to keep temperatures acceptable.

All the other things mentioned, could contribute to over heating - bad injectors, timing, fan clutch, water pump, old coolant etc. One thing you should be certain of and that is that your radiator hoses are in good condition - might be well worth while replacing both of them with new ones.

KISS principle works well. Check your rad tubes first. Replace the engine coolant and flush out the engine properly until you know the old stuff is completely out.

There should be a small improvement with everything you do - but a big improvement when the right problem is fixed.

Good luck and let us know how you made out.

mariner

Redneck

Canadian
Reaction score
good luck gettin' er back happy again...you listed 525km from two tanks loaded? or was that 525km each?
I did victoria to mckenzie last fall in my f250 with a jampacked camper on the back to go hunting and was getting in the neighbourhood of 500km/tank...

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good luck gettin' er back happy again...you listed 525km from two tanks loaded? or was that 525km each?
I did victoria to mckenzie last fall in my f250 with a jampacked camper on the back to go hunting and was getting in the neighbourhood of 500km/tank...

that is 525 for both tanks with 4000 lb of load on the way back

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just got an updated history on the truck. thermostat replaced last summer. water pump done 2 years ago, brand new. brand new fuel pump a few years ago. how do i find out if its the original rad? it seems to be a pretty thick one. about 2.5-3 inches thick id think.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by wrong one? To high of a temp?

These trucks require a VERY specific thermostat that is generally only found at a ford dealer or international dealer. You can find listings for 'near match' thermostats at autoparts shops but most will not give you reliable performance. I found that out the hard way when I loaded my truck down and had a crappy tire thermostat in it for a month or so. There were no problems until I tried to attack a regular hill that I was familiar with. Before the top, I had to back off to prevent an overheat. This was many years ago before I knew about the stock thermostat not having an internal bypass. I've been going to the ford dealer and paying for the proper ones, and never had a reliability problem since. Some tend to open slightly too early for my taste, but never allowed overheating.

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok maybe i should go get one from ford then. not sure where he got it from. but i also found out the IP was replaced aswell. it had siezed due to water getting into it i guess was at about 300,000 km it was replaced.