overheated changed head gasket coolant runs into oil still

toeter

Reaction score
1992 with7.3 idi ats turbo kit, overheated on freeway steaming out overflow tank, stopped filled radiator 4 gallons to fill.engine started but rough running slight popping thru the intake seemed normal back on the freeway. 5 miles later radiator is out of water. I then change the head gaskets job complete static only wont start witout ether. runs rough and slight popping thru intake. had heads checked, magnafluxed they are good, flat don't need a thing the shop says. so after starting still a small shot of ether is needed 3 injector are leaking out the supply flare nut which are tighten to spec. replaced those 3 injectors no more leaks and still no improvement. the engine ran for less than 5 minutes since the head gaskets were replaced. the entire cooling systems coolant is already in the oil pan. this way to quick to be cavitation right? so do I have a cracked block? did the headgaskets fail? installed poorly?
the engine is now ready to place new head gasket and try again, would I be better off pulling the motor checking for cracks? get a used engine? throw the whole works into the junkyard? blame my mechanic helper?
any advice will be useful thanks

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you originally confirm that one/both head gaskets were leaking oil into a coolant jacket? Have you confirmed that the oil cooler isn't leaking?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. More questions needs to be ask of you before help can be given. Best question is where are you located? Might be someone near you that can take a look and help. It sounds like you removed the heads with the engine still in the truck. If so thats a tuff job and ruining a head gasket is a big possibility. What torque did you use on the head bolts. Did you clean the threads in the block for the head bolts. Did you use anti sieze in those threads. Why did the engine overheat in the first place and how was that repaired Are you running anti freeze.

toeter

Reaction score
no obvious signs of leakage either time I've torn it down we did drop the head on the left side twice before in proper installation some slight damage to the gasket yes torqued everything to spec anti-seize we cleaned all the threads block and bolts in my mind the repair should have worked the exact same thing what's going on with the motor upon completion what gets me is the amount of water almost the entire clean system lines up in the oil pan in such a short amount of time

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you fill the radiator then open the oil drain plug and watch the water run out the bottom of the oil pan? Are you getting an water into the cylinders?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online