Overall Part Availability

94_dieselpower

Reaction score
I know there isn't a definite answer to this, but what do you all think the part availablity for idi diesel is going to be in the next 10 years or so.

My reason for asking this question is I have a 94' idit that I was hoping to do a frame up restoration on. I really like these trucks and want to have a running one of my own, however, the "other half" is concerned that because I am in college right now and money is really tight that I won't get this truck built for many years down the road. She made the comment, "Is there even going to be parts for these trucks left by then?"

This got me thinking as to how the availability of parts is and what you all think is going to be in the nearish future. :dunno

I really don't want to just scrap this truck out as this vintage of truck is probably my favorite! So, please help me install some confidence in me that there will be parts left for these trucks so I can build one of my own!

Thanks

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, I am doing the came thing! Just be creative if you can't find a certain part....make somethign work!!!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
With so many of these trucks on the road, there will be parts available for a LOONG time to come. A ton of parts are interchangeable from 83 to 97 so the aftermarket companies will not give up on these trucks.

I have two trucks that I plan on keeping indefinitely and am not worried at all about getting parts.

Another thing Look at LMC Catalog, They have complete parts list for 1960's ford trucks on up, there will be the same in parts available in 25 years for our trucks as well.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shouldnt be too bad, and where in oregon are you?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Save it and enjoy it. Like already posted... Many parts are interchangeable between years. Most all the engine internals are the same too. One crank, cam, bearings, oil pump and rods.... Not a problem...

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
Parts and more parts

Just pay attention to the market and buy up a stock of a few parts you see getting scarce.

Like the fuel sending units on 1986 F250 diesels-cuss-cuss-cuss

Just for parts going rare and get them to start with. Otherwise, places like JC Whitney, LMC truck and others are your best friend.

94_dieselpower

Reaction score
Well this is good news to hear! I have always wanted a diesel pickup, and the IDI is ideal for me. They seem like they are simple to work on, and relatively inexpensive (compared to newer diesels) to maintain. I know they aren't powerhouses, but like I have told everyone else: I want a diesel for the reliability, the better fuel economy (compared to a V8 gas), and the pure awesomness of a diesel. If I want to go fast...I will get a sports car for that!

I just know this build is going to take YEARS for me to get done. I have a bunch of dreams and wishes...and so does my fiancee`. :D So that will definitely hold the reigns back on this build.

I actually have a huge wishlist of stuff to get from LMC (as the truck I have needs EVERYTHING!!!)

Typ4 - I am currently located in Corvallis, but hail from Coos Bay. You are actually a person that I have been meaning to get in contact with for some of your opinions/wisdom on the build I want to do. You seem to be regarded as someone who knows something about these trucks! :hail

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think more people will be resorting back to the mechanical diesels. Lots of guys buy the newer ones, then have to sink a bunch of money into them, along with making payments. They get disenchanted with the price tag on repairs for the fancy electronic diesels and resort back to the mechanical ones. And they just keep running..............

gatorman21218

Reaction score
some parts are hard to find. some are readily availible. The nice thing is most of the parts you need are compatible with the F-150 through the F-250 over a 15 year timespan. and If the parts stores dont have them the junkyard will. The other nice thing is these rigs are so simple, you can african engineer stuff.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Typ4 - I am currently located in Corvallis, but hail from Coos Bay. You are actually a person that I have been meaning to get in contact with for some of your opinions/wisdom on the build I want to do. You seem to be regarded as someone who knows something about these trucks! :hail

I know a little bit, I have overhauled 23 of these engines, and completely went thru 2 bricknose trucks, one of which is mine.

I lived in lakeside for a while in 82, I am a duner.
I would hit some wrecking yards up this way, lots of trucks still showing up.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^Albany/Corvallis is pretty lacking in good wrecking yards.
I usually head south to Eugene area or up towards Salem

94_dieselpower

Reaction score
Yeah, Corvallis/Albany sucks for wrecking yard goodies! The B&R down in Eugene has a lot of stuff, but they can be rediculously expensive on some stuff.

There is another place heading into Eugene on HWY 99 that appears to do only trucks. I haven't stopped in to ask about it, but one of these days...

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest enemy of EVERYTHING not running, and even running in many cases, is the never-before-seen astronimical high prices being paid for scrap-iron, copper, aluminum, and such.

The last quote I heard, straight from the guy that signs the checks, was $285/ton for cars/trucks; this is with all tires/wheels or none, gas-tank still there or not, and as much old bed-springs, barbed-wire, refrigerators, and whatever you can cram in the seats, trunk, wherever.

Such has all but completely obliterated finding anything at any junk-yard around here.

Even the junk-yard owners are scrapping everything in sight.
:)

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I know its not the same thing, but I am amazed at how good the availability is on parts for my 1957 S-110 truck. There aren't too many parts that can't be found through some source. The rubber for the wing windows is the only part I can't find... and it can be made using 2 pieces from a '58 up.

Just a little something that you can use to justify your side of the argument/discussion.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score

The last quote I heard, straight from the guy that signs the checks, was $285/ton for cars/trucks; this is with all tires/wheels or none, gas-tank still there or not, and as much old bed-springs, barbed-wire, refrigerators, and whatever you can cram in the seats, trunk, wherever.

:)

That is it? $7.10 a hundred?
I am getting Double that A.K.A $14 a hundred. That is tires, gas tanks, and loaded with every piece of scrap you can fit in it.

And to the OP. GOOD LUCK finding IDI parts in 10 years. I live out in the country and I havent seen another IDI out here in over a month. The newest ones are 17 years old. Needless to say, even if the engine runs forever(which they dont) the body falls apart around them. And none of the auto parts stores stock anything for them. Yes they can get them the next day, but what good is that if you want to have it as your daily driver

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinceslamer

Members online