Opened 10 1/4" diff..Hmmm

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Yeah lunch box lockers do not like heavy loads. My friend has one in his scout and he towed a car once. Man did that thing make some scary noises! The factory lsd holds up well, my stroker has 308k and it'll lay train tracks all day long. I changed the fluid to semi synthetic, add.some friction modifier and a finned cover.

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It generally only takes enough weight to assure that one tire cannot under any circumstances, break traction. The differential action is there for the simple reason that if it is not, either one tire has to slip, or an axle will breal. Something has to give. If you have both rear tires getting perfect traction due to heavy weight, with a welded set of spiders, then only one thing can happen....*snap* something is going to break. If it isnt the axle, it will be the flange bolts on one side at teh hub but something will break eventually Heck, Ive had a set of flang bolts go on mine just after putting a new set of clutches in the posi and and torquing it too hard with a load if that diff is too tight , it can give you problems.

Folks get away running around empty because that rear 10.25 axle shaft is about 1.5" thick and with nothing in teh bed cruising around a tire will skip, even with light loads, a tire will skip on most road surfaces, a lot of trailers dont get loaded nose heavy, but the moment you do, its all over but the tow truck. I used to turn wrenches at a jeep dealer and we had guys ding this stuff all the time and I heard every story in the book.

Yeah lunch box lockers do not like heavy loads. My friend has one in his scout and he towed a car once. Man did that thing make some scary noises! The factory lsd holds up well, my stroker has 308k and it'll lay train tracks all day long. I changed the fluid to semi synthetic, add.some friction modifier and a finned cover.

darn, i was getting excited about a cheap way to prevent the old "one tire fire"
-Flame Thr

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a lunchbox locker in mine and the only thing my truck gets used for is towing and hauling. Only time I notice it is when doing slow speed turning and maneuvering on pavement. Once you get used to it, it's very predictable and no big deal. Moving loaded trailers around the farm would be next to impossible without a locked rear.

I'm rebuilding a D60 for the front and that is getting a lock right as well.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK I was not aware of the O ring for Axle...I'll look and see why it's leaking.

Ya the pinion teeth marks on the carrier are a concern but I didn't dump the fluid from the diff to see *** had gone on. I felt the pinion and it was tight however leaking fluild.

Yes I'd really like to install a crush sleeve eliminator in time. For now I'm going with what I have...as is!

I don't use "winter" tyres per say, I have my Toyo M55's and had them siped, I was stunned at the traction they provided once Siped. I don't plan on having issues as my posi is tight so winter was a blast already. The truck is light enough on the back end that on really wet pavement I can stand on it in 4th and break loose both rears! That's LIGHT! Hence that substantial brick of concrete I had on over the winter for traction.

I never carry all that heavy, 2K maybe and I don't tow heavy, no goose neck/5th wheel, just a tongue tow so I don't even have to worry about that.

I'll try and snap some pics once I get the fluid drained and such, as that will make it easier to view any damage that may have occurred to the pinion. It was submersed in oil yesterday so I couldn't see a thing.

If it's OK I'll proceed with the installation of the locker! If not, I'm going to have to find some gears, or ...or....get the diff in the truck now taken apart and re n re those gears onto the open carrier and setup the diff. Then I can install the locker.

I have options so I will wait and see what happens.

Thanks

Al

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pinion marks on carriers are common, we make too much power to keep the crush sleeve tight.LOL.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Pinion marks on carriers are common, we make too much power to keep the crush sleeve tight.LOL.

LOL That must explain mine, being a first year powerstroke in all, but also I believe I don't have the dreaded crush sleeve. But really it was worked like a cheap mexican before I got it. Oil well work, moving mobile homes, hauling equipment, ETC.... So I would gaurantee it's been overloaded quit a few times. The bed has been welded to the frame because once the PO was winching something and snapped the mounting bolts. UH oh...

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
hmmm hope my PSD has the better rear being a '97, now it's putting down some decent powah! i have no problem putting a lock right in the front axle, the only thing i'd be worried about is if it's a DD and you get a lot of snow. could make going straight in a storm interesting.....

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Nah, that ain't nothing - no pics of my creation, but imagine yours w/ gears also fully welded to the carrier, and if that wasn't enough there was a flat plate inserted against the cross shaft and all gears welded to that as well... This done on both sides of course. Someone warned me that w/ a dually on pavement I may break the welds or the carrier, so I made sure that is damn near impossible to happen... Axle shafts are easier to replace, not that I ever needed to.

i never weld to the carrier. this way if i ever need to, i can just torch out the gears and install new. harder to replace a broken carrier. yes them welds do look pretty, each one at this point does have a hairline crack in them. but been cracked now for 2 years. gears still cant turn.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I got the drums off and low and behold, though different colours each side as damn near new shoes and some hardware. The LH side has all new hardware in it. NICE!

Noticed Pinion nut and yoke a tad loose...grr...so guess before I toss it in I'm going to have to re-gear it with a newer longer splined pinion and new yoke...grrr. That's ok I can continue on playing and prepping it for install. I may as well go crush sleeve eliminator while at it I suppose....

Hmm...Now to find a ring/pinion and yoke, prefer low mileage used!

Hmmm...

What year did that longer splined pinion start in?

Al

EDIT

So yesterday picked up these for 40 bucks
You must be registered for see images attach

I took some Degreaser and a hose and cleaned off everything...
And here are the brakes
Left side

Right side

Last nights dinner too...:rotflmao Super Wifey said get some beer I'm going to Bingo...so I did...

So that sums up last night and todays inspection...

I'll post a bit more soon.

Al

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well I see you drank from the three amigos.... And had the twins for supper too...;Sweet:thumbsup: Now what sitting on the left burner... Thats looks odd...:dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Damn... I forgot to post about those great looking brakes you found. Those look ready for a museum.. And those custom fabricated jack stands... Yeah... Those are really nice.. You find all the good stuff Al... Good carma i guess...

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It generally only takes enough weight to assure that one tire cannot under any circumstances, break traction. The differential action is there for the simple reason that if it is not, either one tire has to slip, or an axle will breal. Something has to give. If you have both rear tires getting perfect traction due to heavy weight, with a welded set of spiders, then only one thing can happen....*snap* something is going to break. If it isnt the axle, it will be the flange bolts on one side at teh hub but something will break eventually Heck, Ive had a set of flang bolts go on mine just after putting a new set of clutches in the posi and and torquing it too hard with a load if that diff is too tight , it can give you problems.

Folks get away running around empty because that rear 10.25 axle shaft is about 1.5" thick and with nothing in teh bed cruising around a tire will skip, even with light loads, a tire will skip on most road surfaces, a lot of trailers dont get loaded nose heavy, but the moment you do, its all over but the tow truck. I used to turn wrenches at a jeep dealer and we had guys ding this stuff all the time and I heard every story in the book.

I agree. You glue a tire to highly tractive pavement with a lot of weight... something has to give and whatever is the weakest link is going to be the candidate. Any type of torque sensing traction aid with a high bias and breakaway is going to encounter similar problems. A high biast clutch type LSD or even a Detroit under some circumstances.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn... I forgot to post about those great looking brakes you found. Those look ready for a museum.. And those custom fabricated jack stands... Yeah... Those are really nice.. You find all the good stuff Al... Good carma i guess...

My truck still has the ORIGiNAL 1986 shoes on. Front pads too. 140K miles. Well, I'm wasn't actually 100 percent sure on the front pads but I was bragging to someone a while back and began to wonder. When you've owned a truck for more than 25 years you begin to forget... but since I have the receipts and records for everything we have ever bought for the truck, I went back and checked but could find no record of pads.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I see you drank from the three amigos.... And had the twins for supper too...;Sweet:thumbsup: Now what sitting on the left burner... Thats looks odd...:dunno

LOL Leave it to you Gary....

Spoon frog shaped spoondohickeythingamajig to set dirty cooking spoon on so stove top stays clean

Hope that helps....works great too!

Al

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.