open air cleaner?

gcf330

X
Reaction score
I was wondering if any one has used a carburater style air "base and lid type" with open filter element on a non turbo 7.3 and what are the pros and cons. I have one that with a little help could fit. thanks

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I would honestly advise against the gasser style open filter. Your diesel will be much happier with the colder outside air rather than the hot air in the engine compartment.
In fact, you will see much better results if you have the ability/time to make a ram-air setup to draw next to the radiator. I think there is an article in the IDI tech section about making one.

Good luck! ;Sweet

EDIT: In fact, with the snorkel unhooked on my stock air cleaner, my EGT temps are 150* higher it seems. Of course I am also running a turbo system...

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
^ What they said. The colder air is much better for your diesel, plus as mentioned the intake noise is ridiculous with an open element. Take the lid off your current intake, then get in the cab and rev it... It's LOUD. It's way worse while under load too

FordCoalRoller

IDI Probbie
Reaction score
As restrictive as the stock are intake system is it isn't get much air. Yes if you want to duct up some type of ram air that would be great but I got creative with my stock air cleaner housing removing the fish bowl and cutting out the sides essentially making it a base and lid set up for the cost of $0.00. The noise in the cab does increase but it sounds damn good at WOT.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
As restrictive as the stock are intake system is it isn't get much air. Yes if you want to duct up some type of ram air that would be great but I got creative with my stock air cleaner housing removing the fish bowl and cutting out the sides essentially making it a base and lid set up for the cost of $0.00. The noise in the cab does increase but it sounds damn good at WOT.

Thanks, I completely forgot about the soup-bowl and restrictor plate mods! Mine was modded so many years ago, I sometimes forget they had them from the factory. LOL

With the stock air cleaner mods mentioned above, you should be good to go. ;Sweet

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i did it 3 inch tall filter 14 inch dia
the motor noise is louder but my exhaust is just a foot behind the cab under the bed so its louder but when it exited the body it was about the same noise level but it gave a great improvement in power and mpg when i did it about 1 mpg and seat of the pants was better too
youll need 2.5 inch in riser iirc i made mine out of sheetmetal and screwed it to the base
also youll love being able to take the air cleaner off with out manuvering the whole thing
i got a buddy who did it and he gave me the idea to do it
check out my turbo build thread youll see what i did

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Unless you live in the middle if Death Valley where it almost never rains, it's a real bad idea to run an open element air cleaner on any diesel . All it takes is running through one good puddle, riding in the right hand lane in a heavy rain and it's all over but the cryin'. The factory air cleaner and most if not all aftermarket turbo enclosed air filter boxes have water drains to deal with this
I can't count the number of diesel vehicles I've heard of this happening to, and a shocking number of them in sunny southern CA ( guys get complacent with it almost never raining and then, boom )

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rldsl ive ran through 1-2 feet deep of water at 45 and had no issues also ive dealt with mud often just make sure the engine compartment is closed in like it should be (ex dont take out the wheel wells or something stupid) i even have started it up every snoy day over the winter with snow all over the engine bay where its parked wind will drive snow in under the hood even had snow on the top of the aircleaner and no issues

gcf330

X
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. With the mixed opinions I am going to do a little more thinking on the issue. May end up with homemade RAM air

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well if your na planning to go turbo ram air is a given
but i dont like the foam pre cleaner or stock filter in my case the stock setup was horrible to get off so it never came off so i never checked the filter
another option is to find an old musclecar filter housing and use that with a ram air same idea as mine but with it enclosed

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't do it, mine is loud as fawk! I have the factory quiet exhaust on it and I can't talk on the phone and drive 55mph.

The previous owner who did this mod said the truck gained a lot of power, but the IP and injectors are original after 150+K, so that could be part of it.

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm going to go with the ram air option -