Onboard Air???

architect-builder

Reaction score
Hey, my brother wants to put an onboard air source on his 04 Cummins like I have on my PSD (viair 550c and 5 gallon tank). Has anyone done a pictorial or write-up on installing a system on your trucks?

Also, has anyone installed the system from Kilby Enterprises your truck?

Thanks,

Barrett

82fordtruck

Reaction score
where does the air pump go on medium duty trucks with the cummins? Maybe where the vacuum pump is?

you could get an electric pump, and replace the vacuum pump with an air brakes compressor.

happeetxn

Reaction score
Hey Barrett,
I would be interested in how you did it on your truck. Any pictures or notes?
Thanks,
Craig

Diesel_Junkie

Reaction score
York compressors are great, and usually only cost about $10 at a swap meet. About 10 CFM@100psi, Yorks do not require oiling on the air inlet, like many AC pumps do.

I have seen what i think 82fordtruck is talking about on a 4bt. you can get a true air compressor(not a converted AC pump) that is driven by the accessory gear drive in place of the vacuum pump. I think there is an SAE standard for these accessories on cummins. The setup i saw had a very high output compressor, like 20 CFM@100psi, stacked with a hydraulic pump used for hydraulic steering.(rock crawler)

Does anyone know where to get these types of accessories for the cummins B motors? I have not had much luck with my searches.

Thanks,

82fordtruck

Reaction score
these are air brake compressors. I did a search for them with good luck.

I am glad that someone knows what I am talking about, I was just thinking out loud, and am glad I was right about that. I think that would be the best way to address the issue.

architect-builder

Reaction score
happeetxn said:
Hey Barrett,
I would be interested in how you did it on your truck. Any pictures or notes?
Thanks,
Craig

This is the information that I followed. The only difference is that I got the Viair 550C and I have the compressor in my tool box. It is a pretty easy install and has come in very handy. (Especially for the Hadley's).

Barrett