Olives...

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas, my local International dealer closed a few years back...anyone have an 'olive' they could spare?
I need it for the hard line going into the IP valley pan is wet :puke:
Unless I do away with that hard line all together and use barb fittings out of the filter head into the IP...with rubber fuel line. :dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Russ or Mel will have those. Mel and I think Russ have the replacement lines custom made to replace that line from the filter to the pump. I still wonder why international made this kind of a fitting. Only thing I have come up with is this is a vibration illimater. The pressure here is only 3 to 8 lbs.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my return kit. From Mel. It looks like you need one of those too, and when I ordered mine, new olives were included.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with using rubber hose and clamps?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope... No good reason for using rubber hose and clamps. We can even install barb fittings that don't require a clamp. they clean up the looks...

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a place online that has them pretty cheap. Can't recall the part number off the top of my head though, I'll try to post it tonight.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I asked that question a while back and I think Riot posted pics for me. I don't remember what thread I hijacked but its on here somewhere.

gandalf

Reaction score
Olives actually look like a stubby piece of fuel line...no?

Yes, they do. However, I can't tell you whether a little chunk of fuel line will work as well, or whether there is really a difference. Mine were cheap enough that I didn't really want to find out what the difference might be. I paid $5.44 for two of them, sized to fit the hard line between the fuel filter and the IP. The International part number for those is 1815780C1. There are two sizes of olive, as I recall, depending on where you will be using it.

We all understand pictures:

You must be registered for see images attach

You can see the difference between the old and the new. Just cut the old one off, lube up the new one and slip it over the lip.

058hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ or Mel will have those. Mel and I think Russ have the replacement lines custom made to replace that line from the filter to the pump. I still wonder why international made this kind of a fitting. Only thing I have come up with is this is a vibration illimater. The pressure here is only 3 to 8 lbs.

John Deere also uses them and any JD equipment dealer should have them. Tell them you need them for a 648d skidder.

Reaction score
According to a member on another forum.....

The Parker Vibra Loc (Olives) are on the:

* Lift Pump to Fuel Filter at Filter (3/8" one required)
* Fuel Filter to IP both ends (5/16" two required)
* On the 6.9 there is also one on the return tube from the IP to the return tee at the tee (3/8" one required)

5/16" Vibra-Loc - McMaster-Carr Item 50385K83
3/8" Vibra-Loc - McMaster-Carr Item 50385K84

Haven't replaced mine yet so not sure if that's accurate or not.

Mike

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hammerdown, I have some spare olives, but I am sure Mel could get them shipped to you faster than I could. I have ordered mine from McMaster Carr as posted above. Mel also offers a very nice braided ss hose to replace the hard line from the filter to the IP if you feel like splurging.

058hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
John Deere also uses them and any JD equipment dealer should have them. Tell them you need them for a 648d skidder.

I didn't mean for that post to sound like I was saying not to use Russ or Mel just that there might be a JD dealer close if you need them yesterday.

gandalf

Reaction score
I didn't mean for that post to sound like I was saying not to use Russ or Mel just that there might be a JD dealer close if you need them yesterday.

This is not a problem. I'm sure that both Russ and Mel understand that alternative sources are a good thing. That stands even more if there is any kind of rush on getting the job done.

I was looking at the picture I posted, thinking that the olive appears to have a thicker wall than your normal fuel line. I haven't pulled out any fuel line to compare, since I don't have an olive handy, but it looks thicker. Since it acts, in effect, as a compression washer, that thickness would be an advantage in sealing the space between the hard line and the compression nut which screws down over the top of the olive. Look at the thread imprints on the olive in my picture. The olive must seal that joint/union.

Aside: 058hammer, you're in Maine? What part? I'm moderately familiar with the coastal area from MDI southward.

Here it is 0 dark:30 in the morning. It's dark outside at 4:30am, and I'm sitting here at my computer. What's wrong with this picture?