Older Banks pros/cons

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Alright group, I've got a line on an older banks turbo. I've searched the archives here a bit and generally like what I hear.

Questions: what kind of extra power do they give? I spend 99% of my time commuting on a state highway with lots of stop lights ( get up to 50mph, then a mile later come to a stop, repeat, etc.) Commute is 10 miles each way.

What I gather of the old banks is that they are slow spoolers, only put out 8-10 psi of boost. If thats true, then that's perfect, as I don't wanna be pulling the heads for a blown head gasket on this 7.3L If I don't have to. I'm not looking for a screamer. Mainly, I'm looking for a turbo to help me maintain speed on hills on the interstate on all the road trips I do. Pulling is something I do maybe 5 times a year, so I'm not concerned about that. Hope that makes sense, basically I'm looking at a good deal from a guy with one, and I let it go to my head that I might want it :)

You must be registered for see images attach

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've really enjoyed mine. Like you mentioned, mine doesn't spool fast. In fact, around town, I barely get above 1-2 lbs., but at highway speed, on the inclines, it's a nice additive. It fun to watch boost roll up with little in the way of additional pedal/RPM's. Mine currently tops out around 8.5 lbs when I'm really into it. My EGT's never see north of 900-950 and that's only when my foot is knocking on the bellhousing's door.
I will say, like most any other turbo install, it's a PITA. I was luckily enough that I added mine while replacing the engine, so bending up the firewall wasn't that bad, but I still ended up having to add a 1 inch body lift to get the body off the up pipe. But that's my install, your's could be different.

Good luck!

MoMo

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Got one and for longevitiy issues of the engine IMHO the lower constant boost levels will help that.
Yeah its frustrating to see others spiking 15psi on their gauges but with the non gated turbos, that top end boost is limited by fuel and top end efficiency reduced by heat.
What would be sweet is 2 non gated turbos feeding a decompressed engine. :really:

gandalf

Reaction score
I have the installation manual for that turbo if you need it. It's in pdf format, so I can send it as an email attachment. If you do want it, send your email address in a PM.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Got one and for longevitiy issues of the engine IMHO the lower constant boost levels will help that.
Yeah its frustrating to see others spiking 15psi on their gauges but with the non gated turbos, that top end boost is limited by fuel and top end efficiency reduced by heat.
What would be sweet is 2 non gated turbos feeding a decompressed engine. :really:

listen with these motors even 5 psi makes a huuuuuge difference. i have a nongated ats 088 on my big lifted CC with a 5 speed. she is completely different. plenty of power vs stock now.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck even 1-2 psi is highly noticeable. I have the 088 ATS kit also, barely any boost unless I'm working it, heavy throttle, a load or something.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is a really old one it may have a carbon seal in the comp side and they will eventually leak like a sieve, may want to check it out before install. Or we could hotrod it for more low speed boost.:sly

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
If it is a really old one it may have a carbon seal in the comp side and they will eventually leak like a sieve, may want to check it out before install. Or we could hotrod it for more low speed boost.:sly

Tell me more Russ, is there any magic you can do to these old banks?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bigger compressor wheel and housing makes a big difference.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Alright, you guys twisted my arm and I bought it, and the whole truck. :eek: Now I have two brown/tan IDI's

Here's the truck:

You must be registered for see images attach

1987 F250 6.9L C6 2wd 3.55 A/C 149K

Gear Vendors overdrive, Banks Turbo / straight-piped Banks Exhaust, 38-gallon rear fuel tank, new tires. Truck started first crank. Being a turbo'd standard cab, it drove like a *****-ape compared to my current n/a beast. Plan now is to swap the cool stuff to the Crew Cab :sly

Payed $1,750 for the whole truck (Russ, pm sent)

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt you want to, but if you want to sell the c6 gear vendor adapter Ill be on it like flys on poo!!