Older Banks pros/cons

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
I'm hoping to put the overdrive in the Crew Cab, along with the turbo and fuel tank. Then make the '87 a factory-spec truck with parts from my 88, and sell it.

Last edited:

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
my dealio with nonwastegated turbos.
when I had the c6 I thought it was the perfect turbo for this truck (088 ats unit).
When accelerating, 10-15psi constant was the norm.

putting in the zf5 made the turbo sluggish. It spools up if I stay in gear, but everytime you shift the boost drops off. As such, by the time the turbo starts to really kick in your ready to shift again.

If I kept an automatic, the 088 would be the best turbo. For manual usage I've been more impressed by the wastegated types.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
That makes sense, the C6 does keep the rpm's up a bit. On my test drive, I floored it going up a slight incline on the highway, and at 70 mph, it was at 8.5psi. I'm thinking with the extra weight of the crew cab, it may push a little higher, especially on a real hill.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a used gear vendor with c6 adapter just ended on ebay and it sold for $1892 plus shipping. I gave $1700 for my setup and that was fully rebuilt with all new electronics and wiring and a new adapter. Tax time is here if any body wants to put goodies on ebay cause people love to spend free money they probably didn't earn!!

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
my uncle pulled a gear vendors overdrive unit off a c6 on an old turbod 6.9 in the city a while back he's wanting to sell. If you're interested I can let him know, I don't know what he'd ask for it.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just need the adapter with the coupler. I am willing to give my adapter and $300 for the c6 parts. Thanks and Let me know what you find out.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
just got off the phone with my uncle, he already sold the whole unit for a grand.. sorry man.