old turpentine oil?

psl sniper

Reaction score
i have a gallon of old turpentine oil that was pulled off the top of old paint. the oil is clean.

ive read reports of using blends with diesel up to 40% turpentine.

ive also read about people blending it with veg oil.

this is not modern mineral turpentine, but old school turpentine.
my concerns are as follows. the oil was old, it had the color and thickness of 30 wt motor oil.
it did mix well at 50% with diesel. no seperation.
when i put a sample on a piece of glass it dried after 24 hrs leaving a slightly sticky residue.

so my concern is that it will either plug my filters or gum something up. in liquid state its nice and oily. and i think it would be burnt up before being able to do anything. i know gasoline leaves a varnish as it gets old.
so if i used it up right away without letting sit would i be allright?

what do you guys think? has anyone tried it? if i do try it what % should i use?

any and all opinions are welcome.

forgot to add once i blended it i ran it through a .5 micron bag filter with no issues.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see your in NM, what kind of low temps do you see this time of year???
Otherwise this is new to me....:popcorn

psl sniper

Reaction score
our winters are generaly mild. it was cold enough to freeze some water on the ground this morning. but by mid day its pretty warm.

Last edited:

psl sniper

Reaction score
well i feel stupid. did some more research the oil i have is in fact linseed oil aka flaxseed oil. it may have trace amounts of turpentine but is in fact linseed oil. which from what i have read is not ideal for fuel. so ill find another use for it. glad i found more info before going nuts with it.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think linseed would be a nightmare in the fuel system if you didn't run it out the same day and then immediately refill with D2.

psl sniper

Reaction score
Yeah, I think linseed would be a nightmare in the fuel system if you didn't run it out the same day and then immediately refill with D2.

yeah im not going to use it. not worth the risk for a gallon of fuel. ill save it for either tiki torches or use it as bbq lighter fluid. glad i did more reading before trying it. that would have been a headache for sure.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance