Old School driving lesson #2

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Thanks for the movie. Boy , did that bring back memories.
I'm going to show that to my son. I was trying to explain how I used to do that, but it just doesn't make much sense unless you're looking at it.

-----------Robert

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty cool Larry. Can't believe it's been a year since I saw that cool truck of yours. ;Sweet

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Hey...we're still rock'n around town. Haven't been too involved with internet groups lately. With my drag racing, I'm gone and busy about every weekend....and with new g/f...I'm busy all week LOL!

You guys need to come to one of the stick shift races and check me out. It's ALL old school wheel standing, gear jam'n fun! We ran QuakerCity last week(I went out semi-finals).

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually all the new granites have airshift reverse so you can through the bottom 5 in reverse. Im still keepin my eyes out for a B or any old mack but no luck yet. I have to go down to the auction down in atlantic city in the fall with some money this time. In the spring they had a B-81 tandem dump with i think a quadbox that went for 2000. I wish i had some money to buy it when i was down there. Good luck with the truck and cool video.

Chris

Ops

grouchy old fart
Reaction score
talk about memories..

its been 30 years since I drove a TriPlex, I about forgot how much work it is untilI saw the vid!!

Thanks for the memories!

Ops

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Work? Huh? I thought it was suppose to be FUN!!!! LOL!!!!!

(ya, sometimes after all day I do start to think'n it's work)

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
http://fords.kilonet.org/freightrain/bride1.wmv
Memories!! 'ya ruined my day!!! :cry: I been doing really great not daydreaming 'bout "the road" last few years. Even tell a little white lie now & then when I answer "naaaw, I don't miss it"

Hay, I thought 'ya was supposed to have the sticks a bit taller & tie a red bandana to each stick so everbody else could see them shaking & quivering as you was 'a-coming down the road.....and then they knew you wasn't "just some regular truck driver....'ya was a real driver!!! :Sly

Yeah, one of my earlier 2 sticks was a '62 KW with 5X2 cable shift, 262 Cummings (220 w/blower). Humility not being a quality in my world at 15 year old & 5'4", I tended to strut about feeling very "stud" & at least 6'6" tall with a puffed out chest.....after I kinda got to shifting that thing!! Even shifting without scratchy noises! (I think about then, I had to shave once a week)

Then one day my whole world crashed & crumbled!! Some "'ol timer" at a truck stop in Gainsville, Tx. asked "Son, how 'ya like shifting this thing?" I puffed up and quickly responded that I was very good at it, very proficient, very skillful at shifting that thing!!! He so sweetly, soooo gently, casually said "Yeah, these old cable shifts always were so easy to shift, even his 95 year old grandma could drive a cable shift!" Then he smiled & walked off.....

Took ALL the wind 'outa my sails!!!!
When I got home I had to ask the boss man "what's a cable shift???"

Ahhhh, the good 'ol days!!!!!!

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Are you talk'n a cable shifted brownie? I know I've heard of them, though never really saw one.

I know the early Roadrangers had a cable shifter on them. It was before air cylinders did it for you.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I was too dumb to know.....

Freightrain said:
Are you talk'n a cable shifted brownie? I know I've heard of them, though never really saw one.

I know the early Roadrangers had a cable shifter on them. It was before air cylinders did it for you.
To me, it would be like a Brownie set up.
As I remember it shifted by cable instead of linkage on both boxes. Had the 2 shift sticks up in the cab though. Five speed main & then split each gear with the auxillary.
As far as the way that 'ol KW was set up, it shifted & split gears out a lot like a Working 4th & 5th..... which was air shift.
That was nearly 40 years ago & back then I didn't hardly know much of anything (but I thought I did) I was spending all my time strutting round.
I'm a '50 model....