Okay, I think I am losing my clutch.....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
just talked to scotty and he quoted me $499 for the clutch set minus the flywheel plus shipping.

i found this to be a pretty good deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Did you ask for a price on a new clutch kit or a rebuilt? There is a big difference there on the prices.

Bear in mind the "kevlar" clutches that southbend sells are not 100% kevlar linings, in fact they are no where near it, they are organic linings with a handful of kevlar fibers scattered in there. So few you can barely see them., this is the same as most of the clutches sold as "kevlar" by most manufacturers. Not a good deal.

south bend clutch

Reaction score
Did you ask for a price on a new clutch kit or a rebuilt? There is a big difference there on the prices.

Bear in mind the "kevlar" clutches that southbend sells are not 100% kevlar linings, in fact they are no where near it, they are organic linings with a handful of kevlar fibers scattered in there. So few you can barely see them., this is the same as most of the clutches sold as "kevlar" by most manufacturers. Not a good deal.

Excuse me!!!!!

Where do you get this information? If Kevlar is used at South Bend Clutch it is 100% Kevlar made by Tribco Inc. out of Cleveland Ohio. Owner Dave Bortz, Clutchtex and Braketex. We actually helped the company financially to get started some 25+ years ago. We use Kevlar primarily in the passenger car and agricultural as well as semi. We do offer it in the diesel pickup market for stock applications but use other materials when HP has been increased. We love Kevlar but it needs to be used only in the right applications. If Kevlar gets slipped, its burn point is 600 degrees and turns to ash. Many of the diesel heads are building the trucks up to use in competition and others are just plain abusive and Kevlar will not work well for these people.

Just wanted to clear this up, sorry

Peter
Owner
South Bend Clutch

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excuse me!!!!!

Where do you get this information? If Kevlar is used at South Bend Clutch it is 100% Kevlar made by Tribco Inc. out of Cleveland Ohio. Owner Dave Bortz, Clutchtex and Braketex. We actually helped the company financially to get started some 25+ years ago. We use Kevlar primarily in the passenger car and agricultural as well as semi. We do offer it in the diesel pickup market for stock applications but use other materials when HP has been increased. We love Kevlar but it needs to be used only in the right applications. If Kevlar gets slipped, its burn point is 600 degrees and turns to ash. Many of the diesel heads are building the trucks up to use in competition and others are just plain abusive and Kevlar will not work well for these people.

Peter
Owner
South Bend Clutch

Yup, I'm running your 12 inch Kevlar/Metallic clutch in my truck and it has been excellent for me. I've been very pleased with it for the last 3 years. Thanks for the info.

You must be registered for see images

Heath

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Excuse me!!!!!

Peter
Owner
South Bend Clutch

Well, I got my information from one of your employees on the phone when I tried to buy a 100% kevlar clutch from you folks a couple of years ago and was told that your company did not make them. and only made the kevlar blend clutches , and the salesperson went on to say that you didn't make 100% kevlar because they had "problems", and the kevlar blend clutch was not available for my application, but went on to tell me about your Feramic clutch and tell me that it was much better than 100% kevlar and that Feramic was what I really wanted to buy and I would not be happy with kevlar ( I have to admit, Got to give an A for effort for the sales staff , had me going pretty good there for a while), but in the end I kept on shopping for another 3 or 4 weeks till I found what I was looking for.

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
Well drove it almost 350-400 miles yesterday hauling my 18 ft flat bed and my truggy without a hitch. Did really well.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I guess you are going to wait on replacing the clutch for a bit. If you had no problems with it on that trip, I'd leave it alone.;Sweet

Heath

subliminal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excuse me!!!!!

Peter
Owner
South Bend Clutch

this is the clutch ill be ordering

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
I'll wait for now...I'm not DD'ing the truck anymore. I picked up a 95 Sable with 120K for a DD.

I had turbo envy yesterday, here we are meeting up at a Meijers gas station.
You must be registered for see images attach

My 89
a twin turbo 08 f350 with a spartan tuner (just stupid powerful truck)
a 96 (?) f250 7.3
a 1st gen superduty 7.3L