ok who runs what in their ZF?

what fluid is in you SMF trans

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Syn AFT filled to the correct level.....I might take it out though, ever since I changed it I have to be just about crawling to downshift to 2nd gear...It was perfectly fine with reg ATF....Night and day difference between the two for only that issue. Shifts easily other than that and I plow with this truck all winter so it get's lots of use.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
whats the difference between normal and overfilling besides the obvious fluid level? Or, why would it be worth a difference?

when you go SMF the zf5 is prone to "gear roll over noise" most the time at idle with the clutch out. The gears inside the tranny are actually rattling together because your flywheel no longer has springs in it to dampen the engine pulses. Over filling the tranny helps quiet the noise down

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Royal Purple synthetic ATF (not the synchromesh). 2 gallons (obviously that's overfilled LOL).

Chris had serious trans temp issues in his running the synchromesh stuff.... like 420+ and a very hot shifter.

Heath

tenlug

Reaction score
Reg ATF. DMF. Normal level. 270,000 miles. Steve

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Royal Purple synthetic ATF (not the synchromesh). 2 gallons (obviously that's overfilled LOL).

Chris had serious trans temp issues in his running the synchromesh stuff.... like 420+ and a very hot shifter.

Heath

Great...something else to watch for! lol I've not experienced that at all, noise is very low, everything seems to be working fine for me. I've used it before with good results as well. Had it in my T19, but I think they are pretty rugged as long as they have something in them.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Syn AFT filled to the correct level.....I might take it out though, ever since I changed it I have to be just about crawling to downshift to 2nd gear...It was perfectly fine with reg ATF....Night and day difference between the two for only that issue. Shifts easily other than that and I plow with this truck all winter so it get's lots of use.

i noticed that too! its nonexistant with the MTL.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
couldnt find anything in time, so just grabbed 2 gallons of regualr ATF for now. can swap it out later. still curoius what everyone is runnin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online