OK, this is making me mad...Electic fuel pump problems...

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need a pump that will mount on the frame rail of this truck, not in the engine bay, or up on the firewall, or anywhere else...It has to mount on the inside of the frame rail...

The Summit pump I bought will not suck out of the tank correctly, it cavitates...No one carries the right Carter pump apparently and Holley says the red pump won't work unless the inlet and outlet are level with the bottom of the fuel tanks and its within 12 inches of the tank which we all know is impossible...

So what will work correctly...This guy is getting pissed cause I don't have his truck done...Will the Holley pull from both tanks perfectly or will it screw up just like the Summit, as the Summit and it are almost identical? I am about to just go put a 60 dollar Mr. Gasket pump on it cause its the only one that is actually rated properly unlike any of the other pumps...

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
well i have a holley pump on my truck and it is mounted perfectly on the inside of the frame rail. I have it mounted right after the tank selecter valve and has been working that way for a while now. :dunno

are you sure your "shower heads" havent fallen off inside the tank allowing the pump to suck air.. just an idea.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Alien, You're gonna need more than that holley with that cummins there. Search HFP702 Delphi pump, maybe that will help. Oh btw the Ve doesn't like less than 4psi for very long.

As for the electric pumps, the holley will more than supply the fuel for the IDI needs, there are also carter and carrier/facet pumps that will work very well. Do a search with these words and You'll see plenty of info about what pumps You need and where to get them.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
I was told on the cummins forum that the holley black (14psi max) was a good pump to run. I dont believe everything i read on the internet so can you enlighten me? I dont mean to highjack so please pm? thanks

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Logan, I've run a Holley Red on my F250 for the last 5 years without issue. The pump is starting to get a little tired and the fuel pressure is starting to drop with the Moose pump and Moose injectors, but that's another story.:D

I have it mounted inside the frame rails, infront of the fuel tank selector valve. Many others have used them as well. For a photo, just click the "Holley Red" in my signature.

Heath

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
exact same mounting location on mine as above. havent had any issues with it yet. and i know of a couple other guys on here that are running the same setup.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the Carter 4070 and it's fine. Mel reviewed it on this board, and Summit carries it. Someone else is running the 8 psi version, the 4594.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will a mr. Gasket work for this setup? I am curious because I would like to use my mechanical lift to pull oil from my hx35

-Lance

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i have a holley pump on my truck and it is mounted perfectly on the inside of the frame rail. I have it mounted right after the tank selecter valve and has been working that way for a while now. :dunno

are you sure your "shower heads" havent fallen off inside the tank allowing the pump to suck air.. just an idea.

The one I had was almost identical to the Holley Red and it wouldn't suck from the tank...The rear is missing the shower head but the pickup we built is less than an inch from the bottom of the tank...

Alien, You're gonna need more than that holley with that cummins there. Search HFP702 Delphi pump, maybe that will help. Oh btw the Ve doesn't like less than 4psi for very long.

As for the electric pumps, the holley will more than supply the fuel for the IDI needs, there are also carter and carrier/facet pumps that will work very well. Do a search with these words and You'll see plenty of info about what pumps You need and where to get them.

I keep having cavitation issues with those style pumps...

Logan, I've run a Holley Red on my F250 for the last 5 years without issue. The pump is starting to get a little tired and the fuel pressure is starting to drop with the Moose pump and Moose injectors, but that's another story.:D

I have it mounted inside the frame rails, infront of the fuel tank selector valve. Many others have used them as well. For a photo, just click the "Holley Red" in my signature.

Heath

I can't risk buying a Holley and it not working cause I don't have time to deal with it...

I have used a procomp red mounted inside the frame rail about 12 in from the fsv for about 4-5 years with no worries.

I run the Carter 4070 and it's fine. Mel reviewed it on this board, and Summit carries it. Someone else is running the 8 psi version, the 4594.

Summit said they don't have it...

Will a mr. Gasket work for this setup? I am curious because I would like to use my mechanical lift to pull oil from my hx35

-Lance

The Mr. Gasket is a diesel rated pump, it actually works better than any of the other pumps that I have tried on it, I am going to drive it around some tomorrow to make sure it don't have cavitation problems...I wouldn't suggest using a pump to suck oil from your turbo, your liable to smoke the bearings...

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
NAPA could get the Carter pump to me the same day if i ordered in the morning. it makes me wonder whats going on though if you are having problems. the carter, holley and summit pumps are all vane style pumps. vane style pumps are bad a pulling a vacume or lifting fuel much thats why they need to be mounted low to draw the fuel properly.

i have also mounted my holley and carter in the frame rail though for years with no cavitation issues.

i am thinking a air leak is hiding somewhere to give you this problem

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
x2 on the air leak, as it can only be bubble cavitation. None of the pumps listed in this thread are powerful enough to pull a true vacuum cavitation void, except (maybe) a duralift. I'm now running a Facet all fuels rated Gold-Flo that is frame rail mounted where the Holley Red used to be, works perfectly and even is rated at the proper psi.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
what are you talking about cavitation issues? how did you have everything connected? do you have inserts in the plastic lines to keep them from collapsing? are you sure you had the pump on the supply and not the return.

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what are you talking about cavitation issues? how did you have everything connected? do you have inserts in the plastic lines to keep them from collapsing? are you sure you had the pump on the supply and not the return.

One minute it will suck fuel from the tank then the next it wont, it won't even push fuel to the filter housing then you got to take the line loose at the filter and let all the air bleed out then its fine for a while, I by passed the TSV and I am pulling off the rear tank exclusively, it has a total of about 12 inches of brand new rubber line between the tank and the pump with 4 hose clamps and I have checked all of them, all of the rest is steel between the tank and pump, You can't mess up the suction or return side, one is 3/8 and the other is 5/16, big difference...Right now the Mr. Gasket seems to be working better than any of them, makes me wonder sometimes...

When I called Summit and told him I was trying to draw from a fuel tank he said forget it, our pump will not hold suction, he told me to put it back in the box and UPS would be by to pick it up today or tomorrow...