Ok list of improvements to an idi

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well what the title says can someone produce a really good list of improvements/upgrades to certain years of idi's?I am trying to get an 87 f350 6.9 diesel with a banks turbo.And I wanted to see the upgrades that really need done to these old trucks because when I get it ill have it for the rest of my life for sure. Now what are most if not all the improvements hopefully most chime in.

thanks in advance!!

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Just a list of things I would do if I were buying an IDI and money wasn't an object.

1. Intercooler
  2. Aluminum Radiator
  3. Modded Injector Pump/Injectors
  4. New injector lines/return line kit
  5. Batteries/cables/glow plug system
  6. Swap to ZF-5 manual if it doesn't have one already
  7. Depending on mileage, a double treatment of AutoRx

Sw1tchfoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maintenance before modifications. Lots of people get rid of these trucks because they are low on power or hard to start.

So start with getting the glowplugs and return lines in tip top shape and make sure the batteries and starter are healthy. Then the injection system.

If you want to dig right into it from the very start to prevent future problems you could always go right ahead and install new head gaskets with studs.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Search the forum...there is so much and so many things one can do.

A lot of things are personal and come to personal choice. Standard maintanence items like GP injectors and IP are just common improvements.

You query if very ambiguous....what improvements....complete strip and paint frame and body and so forth? What?

Reman engine? What?

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
General maint.
Oil
Coolant (sca's)
Brake fluid
Powersteering fluid
Tranny fluid
ect....

upgrades as stated above
hydroboost
3g alt.
large exhaust
3:55 if you dont tow alot, better mpg
Push button starter and switch for the fss for when the ignition fails
Electric fuel pump (genlightning)
Agnem's ss lines from filter to ip.
arp studs
airbags for towing
ceramic coated pistons
lots of stuf..

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

:rotflmao Theres so many things you can do to older pickups to improve them you cant really write it all down. Plus it depends on what you want it to do, are you towing or after mileage?
Everything listed above plus maybe headlight relay, open intake, smf, 7.3 rockers, rsk?

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well ONE it has a turbo as stated from banks already on it. TWO I just wanted to know some of the faults that plague these old trucks that the maker never thought all the way though.I want to make my truck stout not lifted or anything silly I want something that I know good parts that were originally junk or just poor quailty before.like return lines and glow plugs now the truck hasnt been driven much. it sat..and sat.... and sat I have been trying to save every penny to get this truck and I bought fleet guard filters it has new pads and rotors and calipers going with it needs a new shifter.

I want to make a list I want to be able to do anything push pull get decent mileage just wanted to see what would be needed since it will turn over and run and drive but man it just needs some love and just wanting to fix her right. And where can you get an aluminum radiator at?

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
That is an International DT360.

As for aluminum radiators, Rodney Red and Champion are the two big manufacturers. Both are good quality I believe, but Champion radiators seem to get damaged in shipping fairly often because of packaging.

Head studs would be great, especially since you have a 6.9. They were more prone to HG failure, esp with their thinner head bolts compared to the 7.3.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can by a spectra or champion radiator online or at oriellys. Also can get cross drilled slotted rotors at summit hydro boost. Put a newer rear end psd with disc rear. Fatmat floor sound deading. Roof too. What banks kit? Gated or non? You can run water/****. Good intake. High amp alt. re wire things needed. A board member has a clutch pedal mod. Manual high idle an gp. Intercooler Forster kits really about anything 4x4 new leafs tires nice shocks.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big oil,
I would buy it, drive it and make a list. List will have need to do and like to do on it.

Solid state glow plug controller or manual glow plugs would be on that list.
Zf5 and or gear vendors over drive
Better headlights being either E code or HID retrofit
3g alternator
Serpentine belt if you lean that way
Hydroboost
Better hvac blower fan
Better water separator?

Other than studs and neglected fuel injection, there isn't much to do to these

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys ive been on the fourm for awhile I would love to buy the truck I had it a few years back for 800 fixed the glow plug controller and had to sell the truck back to him now he wants 2000 for it and also where is the write up on the clutch pedal and high idle? this truck is a river oaks edition don't know what it is really but it does have a step down rear bumper and does have nice interior. anything else and the turbo is just banks no intercooler and it has that big sqaure box that says banks I do believe.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, you mentioned things that are junk and will give you trouble. That's a easier list, though not short.

1. Wiring to the headlights and other lighting is too small and will melt the wiring and the plug at the headlight switch. Someone mentioned the relay mod for the headlights, and you might need a relay for the running lights also if you pull the trailer or have a camper.

2. The fuel sending units in the fuel tanks are junk. The "shower head" pickup breaks off and you run out of fuel around 1/4 tank, and the resistance thing that works the gauge wears out. And new sending units are very expensive and hard to find.

3. The fuel switching valve that switches the tanks are getting old and will usually fail. The parts stores sell a generic one that needs some fabbing to hook up, or you can find a Ford one that is very expensive. Or people have their own methods to switch the tanks over, there are many ways to do it.

4. The fill system/necks for these trucks stink. The first time you go to the station to put fuel in, you will find this out. Do a search on tank venting, it's a common problem.

5. The instrument cluster lights on the 86-dwn trucks are very inadequate and dim. They have colored lenses in the cluster that cloud over when they get old, making the gauges very hard to see.

6. The fan clutches wear out. That's not a problem, they have had a long life, but the new replacement ones are junk. There are threads on here and there are several different ways to fix this.

7. The front brake calipers like to stick, and the slides that the calipers ride in like to rust and stick. You will probably be messing with this in the near future, just make sure you lube the caliper mounts and slides with never seize or something equivalent.

8. The rear parking brake cables rust and seize up. You will find they are very cheap at the auto parts stores, because they sell so many. They are a bit of a pain to replace, just cross your fingers and hope you have the rearend where your rear drum just slides off. If you have the Dana where the drum is behind the axle flange, then you have a job ahead of you.

9. The brake lines like to rust in two. Common places are about midway behind the side fuel tank, and right where they hook to the rubber lines up front. This happens at the worst time possible, so look at them and see if they look bad.

10. Look at the seam above the doors on the outside from the drip rail to the back upper corners of the cab. This seam likes to open up, and water leaks down the inside cab corners and rusts the cab corners out.

11. The glowplug controller likes to fail, and ruins your glowplugs. I like the manual switch conversion myself, but some people like the automatic system, and upgrade it to the later 7.3 system(if you call that a upgrade).

12. Return lines and o-rings on the injectors have been mentioned already. This is a good system, it's just getting old and time for replacement.

I am sure there are some trouble spots I have missed. Are you sure you still want to buy one of these things?:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle