OK help!

crewchief219

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He's right about how much of the valve you can actually see. It may not flow 12 gpm but its enough to destroy your oil pressure. I saw that first hand with mine. It may not be the issue but like racer30 said its way easier to pull an oil cooler than a motor.

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The relief valve is meant to relieve excess pressure not all of it.

This is true, but when mine was only stuck about 1/4 open (wasn't enough to see) my oil pressure at idle on a good aftermarket gauge was 2 lbs, 2000 rpm was about 15 lbs. After I "unstuck" the plunger it went to 35 psi at 1000 rpm and 45 psi at 2500.

The relief valve may not be your problem, if you couldn't catch the edge of the plunger with a pick, then I suspect something else.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't think the pressure relief valve could allow 12gpm of oil flow through it even if it was stuck open and that it looks closed anyways. Well I'm guessing that it can't flow that much oil, which is causing a very high pressure to build up and nearly stopping the oil pump thus making it a real ***** for the starter to crank it over.

CAUTION: That oil pump is a gear pump capable of generating a very very high pressure. As you say, the starter almost stalls when cranking. The oil filter should have BLOWN APART if oil was even getting that far. You had better pull the oil cooler off, then crank over with it off a couple of revs, see if you get oil then, it will possible be messy. Check the oil cooler tubes for complete blockage, then check the rear cooler header for blockage. I would bet the oil is not even getting to the filter.

Moosebob

Reaction score
CAUTION: That oil pump is a gear pump capable of generating a very very high pressure. As you say, the starter almost stalls when cranking. The oil filter should have BLOWN APART if oil was even getting that far. You had better pull the oil cooler off, then crank over with it off a couple of revs, see if you get oil then, it will possible be messy. Check the oil cooler tubes for complete blockage, then check the rear cooler header for blockage. I would bet the oil is not even getting to the filter.

Oil does reach the filter as it is full and got refilled after I checked the relief valve. But regardless I am currently draining the coolant to pull the oil cooler. It's a slow process since I want to reuse this coolant since it is new and my plow mount gets in the way of it draining. So I am draining 5 or 6 gallons with a fast drip so it falls right into the bucket. I will check the relief valve and passageways and well everything I possibly can when I get it off.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can remove the rear header only and pull the tube bundle out from the front, a little messy. If you rebuilt the oil cooler, it should come out easy from the front. Doing that and exammining it will tell you possibly where the blockage is. Your lucky that some oil passed thru, could have broke the pump shaft or gear if the starter was strong. If everything is OK ther work back to the pump.

crewchief219

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, its a pain for sure.. only big tip is to pull your steering shaft between your column and steering gearbox. That made a huge difference. Other than that you'll just spend a good bit of quality time under the truck. Good luck!

Moosebob

Reaction score
You can remove the rear header only and pull the tube bundle out from the front, a little messy. If you rebuilt the oil cooler, it should come out easy from the front. Doing that and exammining it will tell you possibly where the blockage is. Your lucky that some oil passed thru, could have broke the pump shaft or gear if the starter was strong. If everything is OK ther work back to the pump.

Soon as I realized what was happening I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm surprised I didn't break anything....... or did I?

Moosebob

Reaction score
Oh, its a pain for sure.. only big tip is to pull your steering shaft between your column and steering gearbox. That made a huge difference. Other than that you'll just spend a good bit of quality time under the truck. Good luck!

I think I may just pull the exhaust manifold. Since I just put it on I know it will come right off. The trans isn't back in yet so I have more room to work with. I got the oil cooler loose and the pressure relief valve moves freely.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cranked it over with the oil cooler removed...... not a drop :( I'll get the cherry picker *sigh*

Kinda figured you would have too, :eek: damn , just after a rebuild too. Be sure and let us know what you find.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OUCH,,,,Thats guna hurt...If its a machine shop problem, Take lots of pictures...Then put a 1"wrench in your back pocket when you go see your shop Guy...

Moosebob

Reaction score
Ok on the block where the oil cooler mounts at the front, there are 3 holes. Top one is coolant, lower left is oil from the oil pump.... now the lower right hole has threads and goes into the oil galley. Is there supposed to be a plug in there? I can't find pictures anywhere of the block with the oil cooler removed.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok on the block where the oil cooler mounts at the front, there are 3 holes. Top one is coolant, lower left is oil from the oil pump.... now the lower right hole has threads and goes into the oil galley. Is there supposed to be a plug in there? I can't find pictures anywhere of the block with the oil cooler removed.

I'm going down to my shop and have two engines on stands, will take pic's of the oil cooler ports.

Cranked it over with the oil cooler removed...... not a drop I'll get the cherry picker *sigh*
I don't understand why you are looking there if you didn't get any oil out of the front port when you turned the engine over. Back in an hour or so with pic's.

edit: WHOOPS RE-READ, YOUR REFERRING TO THE FRONT.

EDIT2 Look at the pic of oil and coolant I posted.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm baaaack. Here's the pic's, looks like it's cherry picker time.

1st pic is the front.
2nd is rear
3rd oil pum

Attachments

• DVC01786.JPG
    DVC01786.JPG
    295.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DVC01787.JPG
    DVC01787.JPG
    284.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DVC01788.JPG
    DVC01788.JPG