Oil selection

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Alright, now I know this forum is usually dedicated to IDIs, but I have a slightly off topic question about a truck currently in my care. Don't worry, the blue oval is still on the front of it. :rotflmao

My mother in law left her 2007 Ford Ranger in my care while she is gone until November. No biggie, just making short trips while I'm up in Canada visiting. Well, I got into my normal routine checking fluids...thankful that I did. Nice gal, but not very mechanically inclined.

Probably the shop that she relies on that is shafting her on this...but its over a quart low on oil, no coolant in the reservoir, low PS fluid, no washer fluid and I haven't even checked the tranny yet. Holy hell. :eek:

Now seeing that this thing is in my care, I plan to at the very least top off the fluids and get it on track again. Besides, not such a bad idea noting the mother in law (I'm sure you get the idea haha). ;Sweet

But this does leave me with a question about the oil. I would go ahead and change it...but I lack the tools and ability to dispose of such a thing where I am currently. So topping it off seems like a tide over. Supposed to run 5w-20 in this rig...synthetic though? :confused: I know you aren't supposed to mix conventional and synthetic...but I have no idea what is already in there.

Suggestions? I can't find the usual Motorcraft "synthetic blend" stuff anywhere close, but not sure if they even make a non-synthetic 5w-20. Hmm.

Sorry for the long post, just seeking a little wisdom to assure me here. Thanks!

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can mix synthetic, non synthetic.... different grades.... what ever you want. Havent hurt anything yet. (At least to a Ford ranger's engine). Heck, I ran a 1987 2.3 ranger for a month and proably 2000 miles on a pan of 1 qt 20w50, 1 qt 10w30 and 3 quarts of straight 20. Cause I was broke and that's what I had.

Oil is oil to a very, very large extent.

That said, if something that new was left in my care, I'd be trying to do it right too. Good luck.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave- GENERALLY it's SAFE to mix oils, but it isn't alway OPTIMAL, or even close. If you know the chemistries of the oil, it's a better bet. But you won't in your case. That said, any good quality 5W20 should be fine for top-off because it's unlikely the current oil is anything special you need to worry about.

Also, in case you hadn't thunk of it, maybe you could take the truck to a local quik-lube place and get it serviced for her as a "thanks" for being able to use it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get "the right" oil at any Ford dealer. Sounds like they are calling for the same stuff that goes in my 08' Mustang. Probably an all alluminum engine also.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
You can get "the right" oil at any Ford dealer. Sounds like they are calling for the same stuff that goes in my 08' Mustang. Probably an all alluminum engine also.

Yep, my folks have a newer Taurus that requires the Motorcraft stuff. Trust me, I maintain that oil brand diligently on that car. Unfortunately I am 1300 miles from home at this time in Canada visiting and am unfamiliar with garages or part stores around here. :dunno

Just an update, thanks for all the input guys. Since the oil really isn't too old, I went ahead and just added a full liter to it. Only brand I recognized was Castrol, so that did the trick. Added a half gallon of coolant to the system and topped off the power steering. Much more confident behind the wheel now that I know everything under the hood is up to *****.

Also, I NEVER knew we had a gasoline section on this forum! Thanks moderators for the move. ;Sweet