oil pump

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I missed that comment. I'll let him give his explanation.
But.... worn tolerances can also cause pressure loss, or a dropped piston squirter. But these things move a ton of oil. You can have lower pressure and be fine....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
so the oil pump looks good but I don't know if it is functional plus I ruined the gasket for the pickup tube should I just get a new one? if so suggestions on brand
Just so you know, there is a new gasket included in the full gaskets sets. At least on all the sets I've seen.

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the cover off the pump, if its not scarred up reuse it. All the new aftermarket ones have terrible clearances.
blue loctite the cover bolts upon reassembly.

my motor was rebuilt once before so how can I even be sure its not after market? plus I just bought a sealed power pump should I return it? is there any way to tell if it is original?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me rephrase, new pumps are not as good quality as old ones. The one in your engine may be fine, check it as above. then if it looks good return the one you just bought

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, ck 4 'galling' (scars).

"...And if your pump is bad get another stock one don’t buy aftermarket...."
how is this done? I've gone to ford for parts (& been laughed @) just a few yrs old - "No, out of stock, too old!" get lost...
ID maker & contact them?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

how is this done? I've gone to ford for parts (& been laughed @) just a few yrs old - "No, out of stock, too old!" get lost...
ID maker & contact them?
Ask for one on here, I’ve got close to a dozen good pumps.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ID maker & contact them?
Picture?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would you elaborate on this and explain how to remedy it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Erm, there are a few topics about this around here. Here's one https://www.oilburners.net/threads/...-am-i-stuck-with-pulling-my-oil-cooler.64135/

Basically, there's a regulator piston inside the oil cooler. This keeps the pressure low at WOT, while(in theory) closing off and keeping all the pressure at idle.
This works, until it gets stuck open. Then, you end up with 12-ish psi at hot idle, and <35 at hot cruising RPM.

If you have it working right, you should have at least 18 at hot idle, and up to 45 when cold at 2K RPM.

You don't want the regulator to stick closed, though - it'll be fine at idle; rev it up and you could hit 60-70PSI and blow the oil filter gasket straight up - these engines aren't designed for it.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Erm, there are a few topics about this around here. Here's one https://www.oilburners.net/threads/...-am-i-stuck-with-pulling-my-oil-cooler.64135/

Basically, there's a regulator piston inside the oil cooler. This keeps the pressure low at WOT, while(in theory) closing off and keeping all the pressure at idle.
This works, until it gets stuck open. Then, you end up with 12-ish psi at hot idle, and <35 at hot cruising RPM.

If you have it working right, you should have at least 18 at hot idle, and up to 45 when cold at 2K RPM.

You don't want the regulator to stick closed, though - it'll be fine at idle; rev it up and you could hit 60-70PSI and blow the oil filter gasket straight up - these engines aren't designed for it.

Thank you, this is helpful. I don't suppose anyone ever came up with a suitable replacement Spring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online

No members online now.