oil pump

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey as u guys know im rebuilding the 6.9l. I have to pump that was in the motor I never saw to motor run I bought it full of water. so the oil pump looks good but I don't know if it is functional plus I ruined the gasket for the pickup tube should I just get a new one? if so suggestions on brand

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I don't believe these pumps go bad, but full of water? Eh I would but that's just cause i over worry some things. When u spin it does it sound terrible like sand/rust in it? When I rebuilt my 6.9 I went with Federal Mogul cause I didn't like how sloppy the mahl rebuit one felt. Probably nothing wrong with it but I'm picky even though the Federal Mogul costed twice as much.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I think you can check the clearances. I want to say Russell knows more.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
As far as the oil system goes, isn't there a way to adjust the amount of bypass at the filter head somehow? A spring or something? Or am I confusing forums?

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe these pumps go bad, but full of water? Eh I would but that's just cause i over worry some things. When u spin it does it sound terrible like sand/rust in it? When I rebuilt my 6.9 I went with Federal Mogul cause I didn't like how sloppy the mahl rebuit one felt. Probably nothing wrong with it but I'm picky even though the Federal Mogul costed twice as much.

the water was lower than the pump it was not rusty, what happed was there was oil in the motor still so when the water got in it made the oil float up and it submerged the crank and oil pump. when I cracked it by hand oil was coming out, im just being overly cautious because I don't want to pull my motor back out, "do it right do it once"

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it off, submerge it in a can of oil and spin it by hand a bunch. As long as it's nice and smooth at that point, use it. I'm sure it's better than the aftermarket junk you would replace it with. Low oil pressure in these is a sticky bypass valve in the oil cooler.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's better than the aftermarket junk you would replace it with.

Ain't that the truth. I went with my old stock oil pump when I rebuilt my engine cuz I thought the aftermarket ones probably weren't as good, but then again, i had 3 spare pumps to choose from.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
As far as the oil system goes, isn't there a way to adjust the amount of bypass at the filter head somehow? A spring or something? Or am I confusing forums?
There is a bypass, and it does have a spring. By why would you adjust it?
I suppose you could make it tighter for less bypass. By it shouldn't really bypass that much in the first place.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
That was probably it. Just got a **** eating idea to clense the oil better. Possibly will be parasitic to pressure but I can get off topic real easy so maby best to hold off till another thread arizes

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take the cover off the pump, if its not scarred up reuse it. All the new aftermarket ones have terrible clearances.
blue loctite the cover bolts upon reassembly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726