oil pressure on startup

gatorman21218

Reaction score
So Ive noticed recently that my oil pressure takes 2-3 seconds to build when I start my truck. Is this normal or should there be oil pressure when I'm cranking? It was doing it before I did an oil change last week and so I dont think it is the filter draining back. And I just added a quart last night so she is full of oil.

IF there is something wrong, will I do harm to her if I continue to drive her or should I park her til I have time to mess with it?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope... No problem at all. Just don't throw a big ass rev on a cold engine. Crank till it starts and watch the pressure build. Add some throttle to set the fast idle and drive off after a minute or two. These engine oil pumps push almost 18 gallons per minute @3000 rpm so it volume and not pressure that takes care of the idis. The water pumps circulate 34 gallons per minute at 3000 rpm...

gatorman21218

Reaction score
great thanks. But just to be clear I am talking 0 psi for 2-3 seconds at start up. And yes I have enough sense to not rev an engine right after startup. Even doing a 5 point turn out of my driveway I dont have to hit the throttle. Gotta love a big block diesel

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great thanks. But just to be clear I am talking 0 psi for 2-3 seconds at start up. And yes I have enough sense to not rev an engine right after startup. Even doing a 5 point turn out of my driveway I dont have to hit the throttle. Gotta love a big block diesel

That's normal. Yea on the high idle, I can do the same lol

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
My oil pressure acts the same at start up.

But after a few seconds, I have about 45psi at fast idle (800rpm) and about 15psi at hot idle. And at my cruising speed im usually at 1600rpm which gives me about 35 psi.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin