Oil pan?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Qualified NO. Not very easily. The oil pump sticks down into the pan about 9 inches. You would have to jack the engine up as much as posible then unbolt the oil pump and take that out with the pan. Then it's a ***** to put it back together again. You don't use a gasket when going back together, you use RTV and that is messy. Search oil pan and you'll get a thousand answers.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you can. First get all the bolts out that hold the pan. Unbolt the 2 bolts holding the core support to the frame and the 2 front cab bolts. Then unbolt the fan shroud and auto shift linkage. You then unbolt the motor mounts then jack up the engine some with a hoist. After all that use a floor jack and something to fill the space between the jack and underneath the front of the cab and slip pieces of 2x4 between the cab and frame. Repeat again if neede to prop the cab up enough for the pan to drop out after you remove the oil pick up.
I did this successfully to drop the pan and I had an ats turbo mounted to the engine.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or you can cut the cross member like the PSD guys do. (Hell no. Not on my truck) I still just can't believe they do that. Just pull the Engine.
I have heard that this is where you use the Oil Pan Gasket that comes in the Gasket Sets.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Pull the motor. Its easier to work on a motor outside the truck. Have it in a motor stand that will hold 2000 lbs and just spin it over... Its simple.... Never use a cork or rubber pan gasket unless you desire to do the same job twice... They will leak and that suxs bigtime.... Even the factory didn't use a gasket... They used RTV... Sure... Gasket makers sell oil pan gaskets but that doesn't mean its right.... Sometimes a gasket set has lots of "other" gaskets that you wont use or don't need...

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Or you can cut the cross member like the PSD guys do. (Hell no. Not on my truck) I still just can't believe they do that. Just pull the Engine.
I have heard that this is where you use the Oil Pan Gasket that comes in the Gasket Sets.

Those are the guys that haven't figured out how to pull the pan yet. :eek:

Always use the gray goop from Ford or corn binder.:D

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw one PSD'er who cut the cross member then made the drop out into a bolt in center section of the X-member. Probably so he could replace the gasket every Spring...

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will post pics in a sec, but in short, you need to lift the motor a good six inches or so. Or just cut the crossmember.

And actualluy, unless yall can get some sort of gasket besides the cork gasket, throw the cork one away!!! Silicone.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my pan is mashed in so i have to replace it anyway... thanks previous owner :mad:

where can you get one of those ?inspection covers? that covers the flywheel? mine is exposed