oil pan gasket or rtv

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I had a surgery clean engine upside down on a stand in a brightly lit climate controlled garage, the best conditions you could ask for. I used the gaskets for no better reason than they were there. Upon start up some time later, the freshly painted and clear coated engine sure enough was puking oil out the pan gasket. There I was lowering the oil pan to swap out the gasket to put in good old RTV. Yeah, I learned the hard way. No more gasketsfor me.

skeeter72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i do not want to digress to far off topic but while reading this i was thinking of all the gaskets and leaks i need to replace. Would you use rtv only to reseal the trans. b/c mine currently has a cork gasket and it is clearly about to/if not already disintegrating. Would you use rtv only for sealing the valve covers? So i guess what I'm really asking is: after reading this thread it seems almost everyone here is all about the PROPER application of RTV is there a situation where you would use a gasket and not RTV alone (i'm assuming you would use RTV with the gasket to get a proper seat)?

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Napa for all my parts (except for those that they don't stock). They dont even offer a cork gasket for the valve covers anymore (Napa), its a rubber gasket (better), I just bought last week. Use a rubber gasket for the trans pan. While you have the trans pan off, install a universal drain plug...will make future fluid changes easier. The debate on oil pan is only cause the factory (International Harvester, now Navistar) used silicon rtv to seal vs a gasket. Gaskets are available to use if needed/desired. I don't use rtv with a gasket except for a very small amount in strategic locations to only hold the gasket in place while assembly of the parts.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i do not want to digress to far off topic but while reading this i was thinking of all the gaskets and leaks i need to replace. Would you use rtv only to reseal the trans. b/c mine currently has a cork gasket and it is clearly about to/if not already disintegrating. Would you use rtv only for sealing the valve covers? So i guess what I'm really asking is: after reading this thread it seems almost everyone here is all about the PROPER application of RTV is there a situation where you would use a gasket and not RTV alone (i'm assuming you would use RTV with the gasket to get a proper seat)?

My response to this is there is a transmission gasket, it's used and trying to get that transmission pan to seal with RTV is like trying to hang wall paper with only one arm..nigh impossible.

There is just too much contamination from oil coming out of the transmission, and it's impossible to stop.

IMHO if it was me I would endeavor to find a good paper gasket for the pan, use some elephant snot AKA Permatex Aviation Form A Gasket on the pan and gasket again...this must be as clean as possible...then same a light application to the transmission and seal away. Now doing this myself I can be sure I won't have a leak, I know my procedures and what to observe, typing it onto a computer screen trying to convey skill/knowledge doesn't always work well.

I would hold the same for the valve cover except use a rubber gasket there...same procedure.

RTV and elephant snot and other hi tech stuff have a place and purpose, experiences vary for people and so does skillz and knowledge, thus what works for one member may not result in the same working for another.

JM2CW....

Al

skeeter72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was very insightful and makes sense. The only thing I can really take away from this thread is gasket vs rtv is a personal choice and each have their place. However no matter which one you choose clean the hell out of the parts. On the topic of cleaning I hear a lot about steam cleaning an engine and ect., sorry in advance of my naïveté, do you all do this yourself or take it somewhere to get it done and is the engine in or out of the truck. Because My engine could really use it and I don't have time or the equipment to remove the engine to fix the oil pan leak. So I think a good first step would to have it steam cleaned and then continue on with the cleaning process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When most say steam cleaning its usually just a very hot water spray under high pressure. Its not a true steam only cleaning. So knowing whats being done is important. Very few places have the ability to use stem but they can use very hot water which makes a mess. I have done both types of cleaning and its not fun. The hot water cleaning commonly referred to steam cleaning blows chunks of crap and hot water back at you. your a mess when its done and hopefully hurt burned to badly from the hot water. A rubber rain coat is a must for this work but be ready to throw it out when done. Watch true steam cleaning on utube. See the proper safety rubber aprons used and of course the face shields. I used a full face wrap around shield with goggles and a zero hood. Nothing worse than oily crap in your hair after that work... Remember if you do this yourself its hot dirty work so protection is the most important thing.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score

Stop by Ford and pick up the reusable rubber gasket for a 4R100.

Make sure your pan rail is straight, no bends around the bolt holes.

Instal gasket ( No RTV) and tighten to 10-12 foot lbs.

No more leaks.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno Gary, I can do STEAM here LOL or HI pressure HOT water...either or...or HI PRESSURE STEAM, now LOL all work well but steam is mean on grease and grime...no comparrison to just pressure washing I have to say...

TRUE steam cleaning works on melting oil/grease off the surface not pressure...

I've got damn near 400 degree capability and I gotta tell ya if you are not carefull YOU ARE IN SERIOUS PERIL!!!!

Anyway just wanted to throw that out there...

Some can have their cake and eat it too :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So true Al.. But please be careful using that high pressure high temp steam. When water is flashed to steam what you have is equal to 1 gallon of water changes into 1700 gallons of steam. There is that much expansion of the water to steam. Now if you can compress and heat that steam to 3206 lbs at 706 degrees it will have all the properties of water once again. Its not water but flows and looks like water in the systems. Now heat it to 1050 degrees and 4200 lbs and you know what I worked with. Its called stuff and in the engineering world its called super critical steam.

Last edited: