Oil level.

Skip

Reaction score
This question may sound stupid but when do you check your oil in your 7.3. When its cold or after you crank it and cut it back off. It reads full before I crank it and half full after it drains back in the pan. Not being real familiar with a deisel I wasnt sure of how much oil that thing will hold up top therfore throwing my level off. Could the oil ports be clogged causing it to drain back slowly? Just wondering what the deal was. Thanks. I know im an idiot

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check it when warm and let it settle a few minutes.

BTW an idiot wouldn't ask a question, they would rather run around ignorant.

These Diesels hold nearly 4 gallons of oil so there is quite a bit to drain back into the pan.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
The only stoopid question is the one not asked ;Sweet

There are cooling jets that spray the underside of the pistons and the piston crowns themselves can hold a surprising amount of oil...after a run and you want to check the oil, let it drain for 10-15 minutes or it will read low and if not informed, you will add oil and over fill...causing more headaches.

best bet is check cold first thing before starting :thumbsup:

After a few oil changes -if you do your own- you will find the "sweet spot" for both initial fill and where it will run at. Not all stay at full for the oil change interval.

Enjoy your diesel truck :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online