Oil Leaks How I hate them!

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys just live with oil leaks or do you try to fix them? On my 93 I changed engines a while back and resealed the whole engine. Oilpan, crank seals, Oil cooler, valve covers etc. Anything that could leak oil I tried to fix. It had been leak free for probably a year, but now is starting to leave a pop can sized spot when I park it. Oil level is fine so it's not a big concern, but I hate being the guy with the vehicle that leaves spots.

I don't really care where it's leaking from but the fact it's leaking I find iritating.

Rant over
Jeremy

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I consider it a fluid level indicator... No leak and it's empty.

Makes me wish there was a sealant that would cure in the presence of oil to stop small weeping leaks (not spraying main seals)

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i found most diesels leak eventually..they call it sweat lol. I HATE leaks too but I have come to live with it. Yep pretty much cant park on anyones nice driveway or ill stain it. Hav eto keep some cardboard or a tray under my usual truck parking spot. sucks.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep..... my Truck doesn't spot.... but it does "sweat" enough to keep the pan from rusting....

My VW leaks..... a bit is oil, but right now the IP is leaking a bit (I have a gasket for the top cover, just have had other stuff going on) and it leaks a nice spot when I park it.... not horrible, but being diesel, it likes to spread..... I've gotten a "nastygram" from the parking garage manager at work because my car leaks. I see other with much bigger spots under them, but I am the one that gets yelled at for having an "old, leaky car".... oh well..... I will just drive the truck or the P71 till I get it fixed.......

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 99 leaked from the oil pan drain plug, fixed that with the Fumoto drain valve. Happy as all get out with it, now it's so much easier to change oil without getting your hands soaking wet with dirty old diesel. Also when the wind is blowing, the tube going into the drain pan keeps the oil from blowing all around.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't drip a drop....but it's a never ending battle to keep up with it. Lots of maintenance, and careful monitoring of things. It sweats some, and puts an oil vapor out of the turbo plumbing from the CDR, so it gets cleaned frequently to be sure it's not a sloppy mess. That said, I'm not afraid to park it in anyones driveway- I know it won't drip.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is definitely leaking from the oil dipstick adaptor on the oil pan, and it leaves a his sized puddle every time I park. There are some other leaks as well, I think the oil cooler same some seepage, but that's the only thing that drops.
It is my understanding that diesels leaking oil is just part of it. They are dirty engines. Unless you really want to dedicate yourself to constant struggle.

Last edited:

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not like oil leaks. After doing head gaskets, I replaced valve cover gaskets, re-sealed oil cooler, installed rebuilt turbo and baby moose IP, and had rear main seal replaced when I recently had transmission rebuilt. My engine is oil/fuel leak free and spotless. Oil pan rtv is still holding up from the factory. Not a single trace of oil which is just how I like it ;Sweet.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Mine only leaks when I park in my in my driveway! Really. Never in the street or at the park and ride. Its almost funny.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my rear main when I did my clutch last January. I didn't realize how much it was leaking. It just left spots but it was about a qt every 400 miles.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My replacement engine has a little bit of seepage from the valve covers, my oil drain plug leaks only when cold, when they shipped my engine, the bottom of the oil pan got dented. I was going to ask you guys how should I repair it, because the drain plug touches the oil pickup, just never got around to post it.

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well mine didn't when I first got it, then had a few. Currently it looks like the rear main seal is the culprit, a couple drips most nights. Doubt I'll have the nerve (or transmission jack) to try it myself so saving up moola.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine only leaks out of the carburetor.;Sweet
Got one better LOL - our disasterpiece has now decided to leak oil out the FUEL PUMP!!! Not the gasket where the pump meets the block, that one is double-RTV-ed so it will likely need to be chiseled off to remove it - no, it looks like the oil is coming from where the two halves of the pump are crimped, so where the diaphragm is... No fuel in the oil, not sure about oil in the fuel, kinda hard to check for that... Like, ***, has anyone ever seen this? I've been looking around the whole area and couldn't find any other spot that is wet, the better half also examined the area (she works on Harleys sometimes so she's used to dealing with oil leaks LOL) and she couldn't see anything else either... Can someone confirm that the fuel pump itself can actually be a source for oil leaks, looking at the new (spare) pump we always carry and it has a weep hole right below where the neck around the actuator lever meets the main housing, is that for fuel leaks or can it shoot oil if the seal around the diaphragm plunger goes ****? Cause if it can leak oil that will drip down from there and right onto the edge of the crip, which is what we see wet all the time.

And to think we had the whole "marking its territory" thing under control for whole 2 years or so...