Oil Leaks How I hate them!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Valve cover CORK gaskets always leak, unless there put on with Permatex gasket sealer on both sides. The rubber VC gaskets won't leak if there put on right, torque bolts to 14 - 18 Inch lbs and use the torque spreading washers for sure, ya know, the washers with the bat wings on them.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this thread is a jinx!
i didnt have any leaks when this was posted.
now i have 2!
one out of the fuel pump block off plate, and one out of the lemon cover.
gonna give her a once over tomorrow.

LCAM, i suggest you change that pump before it dies on ya! is it dorman?:frustrate

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm cleaning my wine this weekend to check on oil leaks. I don't appear to have anything major. Definitely not a drop on the ground. I appear to have some seepage though. Hard to tell much, the engine is filthy from where the fuel pump and dipstick adapter were leaking, but those are fixed now.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LCAM, i suggest you change that pump before it dies on ya! is it dorman?:frustrate
Pump is an Airtex, from back when they were still made in the US. Replacement pump was bought shortly thereafter, it's stamped "11" which is 2011, and is another US-made unit. Alright, so I guess I know what I'll be working on tomorrow, unless I can persuade the she-devil that it would be good for her skin to get a bit filthy with oily mess :D (yeah I know, good luck with that one LOL)

What block-off plate do ya'll use on these things, big block Chev? It's fairly unlikely for whatever parts store happens to be nearest to actually have an IDI pump gasket in stock, but I'd be thoroughly impressed if they don't have one for a 454 or a 350 or whatever GM plate fits best. So the logic there is that if the plate works so should its gasket...

Oh, that lemon cover, RTV it. Ours has been off like 5 times in 2 days, gets wire-wheeled and RTV-ed every time, not a drop of oil. Supposed to have some rubber o-ring in there actually, now that I think of it next time we drive by an IHC dealer it may be a good idea to stop by and see if they got one... Anyone know the part number?

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate leaks and will usually find a way to fix them. Some places are worse than others. Right now I am dealing with a drive line leak that I am just trying to nurse until I can get the truck 2 hours away into the shop.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But if it's a fuel leak, it get's repaired immediately. Had one that dripped onto the Y pipe once, gave me enough incentive to replace everything right away even though I was working in sub zero weather.

Deathstar182

Local Ford nut
Reaction score
I'm leaking like a silv from around the rear driver side injectors, it's oil as far as I can tell. thought it was maybe the valley pan but now chicking out the CDR and turbo return line =(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online