oil leak/trans problem

abepratt

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I was driving home from work this afternoon in my 97 and my TC started locking and unlocking. I wasn't very happy because I just got a rebuild 2 weeks ago. I got home and looked under the truck and there was engine oil dripping all over. the main part of it seems to be coming form around the starter/ on the bell housing. This truck is usually very dry underneath. I checked trans fluid, it was fine and the oil was a bit low. I drove it around the section again and it seemed like the torque converter stayed locked up until 4th, then wouldn't lock. Now the O/D light it blinking and it is in limp mode. I'm not sure what to make of this? Is it possible the seal on the TC is leaking? I really need this thing this weekend and I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to use it. I will call the trans shop in the morning and hopefully he will be of some help.

Thanks in advance

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would have it towed back to the shop on their expenses. You NEED NEED NEED the Trans codes pulled.
If it's actually engine oil leaking, check the valley for oil/fuel also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

abepratt

Reaction score
I took the truck into the shop this morning and left it. He just called and said they pulled the codes and it says the tc solenoid is bad. Surely that can't leak oil. He supposedly replaced all the solenoids so what could cause it to go if that is the problem?
Thanks

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely you have two problems. Have you confirmed that the leaking substance is engine oil and not fuel? Did you check the engine valley for any leaks, as mentioned above?

Re. the TC solenoid code, if that's one of the things they replaced, it should still be on warranty, and they should fix it on warranty.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re. the TC solenoid code, if that's one of the things they replaced, it should still be on warranty, and they should fix it on warranty.

Unless the shop reused your old solenoid pack during the rebuild:eek:. Did they do a full rebuild and install a new solenoid pack too? They certainly "should" have if they are a reputable shop. Either way, you will be getting a new (or rebuilt) solenoid pack to solve the trans problem. The oil leak (or possibly fuel as madpogue suggested) could be coming from several different places. The oil (or fuel) then runs down toward the back of the valley pan under the intake manifold and drains out over the bell housing and around the back and sides of it and finally ends up under the inspection cover at the trans. This oil "seems" like it is coming out there, but usually it is leaking form higher up and just making its way there. Could be valve covers are leaking and the oil running back and down; could be the injection pump is weeping a bit of fuel and that is mixing with a little oil and running back and down. Those two are the usual culprits for leaks. Very often the bolts on the valve covers just loosen up from vibration and then you have leaks. It could be the rear mains seal leaking too, and that would leave oil at the inspection cover. If the whatever fluid is leaking is not red, then it is not the trans that is leaking.

abepratt

Reaction score
Everyone I talk to says he has a very good shop. I had him do a complete rebuild on it ($2500) the oil drip is definitely engine oil. The valley looks pretty dry. I guess this could be a separate problem, just came up at the same time. He just called again and said when he hooked his diagnostic tool to the plug on the trans, it performed perfect. He mentioned it could be the computer going bad. I kind of think he's not sure of the problem, but just throwing out suggestions till he finds the real problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online