Oil in the coolant?

IDI_GUY

Reaction score
Hey Guys... I just looked at a 94 IDI Turbo to purchase. However, I noticed there was a significant amount of oil in the coolant (like somebody dumped oil in it) Has anybody had similar problems... The owner says the truck has never broken down, or overheated on him while he drove it for the year that he owned it. If anyone might have an idea where the oil could be coming from that'd be awesome. Thanks.

-Tom.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil cooler usually. Also atf cooler in the radiator if the atf is black. If not it will be red or grey

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Head gaskets do not put oil in the coolant, there are no pressure passages for oil in the head.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
How does your oil look? Coolant in the oil? Cavitation will do this too in which case you are boned.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil pressure 10 to 40 PSI, coolant pressure 0 to 13 or 16 PSI. Oil cooler O'rings, might have run her hot at one time and cooked the rings.

IDI_GUY

Reaction score
Yeah, ... the O-rings seem like they would be a pretty cheap fix. I'm not sure about the entire oil cooler assembly if that were also the case..?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Changing the oil cooler 0rings is a job bes done by someone that knows. What you can do is send the cooler and head ends to someone that has the press and pressure checker to make sure the rings are not cut when it reassembled. Its a ruff job to remove cause you need to drain the coolant. Then jack up that side of the engine. Remove a motor mount. Plus a few other things. Might just ask if anyone here will do it for a fee. I know there are members willing to do this work. Just ask. No problem removing the oil from the coolant either. Simple green or Dawn dishwashing detergent works well. Drain flush a couple of times. Then refill with Distilled water and coolant. Any left over oil will collect in the over flow container. Then a rag in that will pick up whats on the top. Oil floats so its easy to clean out...

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what your mechanical back round is but I can tell you mine was/is little to none, and I managed to R&R the oil cooler. I did make some big mistakes and I ended up taking out the oil cooler and putting it back in a total of three times I think it was. Anyway I'll attach the thread I made last year, hopefully it helps you and steers you in the right direction.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...elp-please-need-truck-running-asap&highlight=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online