Oil in my water?

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I was changing the oil and giving the truck a good service since the new paint job. Checking the coolant I found a thin layer of oil on top of my coolant.

I took a hose and sucked the top layer off very carefully, I found about one or two oz. of oil. Of course last summer I replaced the head gaskets and haven't checked the coolant since. There has been no coolant consumed nor did I find any water in the oil.

What should I keep and eye on first and what to look for? I did not rebuild the oil cooler while I had the heads off (couldn't find the O rings).

Could this be a sign of bad news to come?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It is possible that a small amount of oil from the old heads migrated into cooling ports when removing the heads. If you didn't flush the cooling system when you put the heads back on then you could very easily have wound up with some residual oil in the cooling system, in fact I would be surprised if you didn't. Since oil has been in the system, you need to run a soap flush ( one of the rad flushes where the main ingredient is listed as surfactant) Don't use acid based flushes, they are ******* your system and they do a poor job at removing oil.
After flushing and refilling, just keep and eye on the thing and see if any oil re appears . if it does, then you will have occasion to do surgery

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
As a very wise friend of mine once told me... Calgon :D
Calvin told me calgon cleans oil out of the radiator pretty darn fast.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Is there any oil in the radiator cap when you remove it. If notthen I'm thinking its jus leftover but keep a close eye on this. It could go ether way on you. A paper towel will absorb the oil off the top of the coolant in the carch can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert