Oil getting thrown out of hole behind fuel pump.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Serious problem here.
After we had the new engine running it started leaking oil pretty badly, and I've tracked it down to a port type thing on the bottom of the block, at the front just behind the fuel pump.
I checked our other engines and there looks to be some sort of ball in the rest of them, and this one is missing it.
So now what do I do? What does this ball thing do?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok, thats the forward location for the dip stick. These blocks have 2 locations for this. That block was from a large truck and probably had the oil sump up front in the pan. Really just backwards from our trucks and vans. Clean it with brake cleaner and fill it with RTV but make sure its clean. Otherwise it will leak sometime down the road. No that way easy wasn't it. How does the motor sound???

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Okey doke.
I cleaned the hole out with carb cleaner, only thing I had that was a sprayable solvent, and pumped a bunch of RTV into the hole. Then put some on my finger and wiped a few finger tips of the stuff in there too just for good measure.
Damn that last line sounds dirtier than it should. lol

I hope it works.

The engine runs great. Only thing I noticed was it may have an exhaust leak from my pyro bung I welded into the crossover. But Im not sure yet.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are both locations on the same side.

I've got to move the stick cause I installed headers on a 1990 7.3, no way that old location is going to work. If they are both on the same side can one of the screw ins be moved to the other side? There's just no way to get it much of anywhere on the passenger side.

thanks
Dan

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are both locations on the same side.

I've got to move the stick cause I installed headers on a 1990 7.3, no way that old location is going to work. If they are both on the same side can one of the screw ins be moved to the other side? There's just no way to get it much of anywhere on the passenger side.

thanks
Dan
no worky.
our pickups have a rear sump pan.
big boys have a front sump pan.
i have a couple of dipstick tubes you can have is you want to play mad scientist.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't work in the present location if I was Houdini himself. I thought Nebraska was working on a 7.3? granted a 94 but the blocks the same so I was thinking that the location options might also be.

I might start a new thread cause this issue must have been overcome before. Lots of folks have put headers on these things and someone somewhere has dealt with this.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
That engine in question is a 6.9. But yes I believe all IH IDI blocks have the double hole thing in them. The front one under the fuel pump is almost always plugged with a lead ball.

The silicone thing worked to seal it up for a while but I've got one heck of a leak in that engine right now and I'm thinking its that hole again.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool
I'll look for the other whole tomorrow.
is it on the same side of is there another access on the drivers side. Cause no way will the standard port work with these headers

thanks
Dan

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
cool
I'll look for the other whole tomorrow.
is it on the same side of is there another access on the drivers side. Cause no way will the standard port work with these headers

thanks
Dan

The hole behind the fuel pump will NOT work for you. It is for a FRONT sump oil pan like Gary said earlier MEDIUM duty trucks have. A Pickup truck has a REAR sump oil pan.

So unless you want to see how much oil is in the upper portion of your pan, that location will NOT work

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, then the question becomes how much oil is supposed to be in that front area of the pan. If its any at all then I could at least tell if I have oil. If its just a return to sump area then I'm hosed and there'd better be a spot on the drivers side or its no dip stick, which just doesn't feel right.

Would have been nice if ole Stans had mentioned something about this. There must be some accommodation made for a dipstick and I'm just not seeing it.

Black dawg

Reaction score
That engine in question is a 6.9. But yes I believe all IH IDI blocks have the double hole thing in them. The front one under the fuel pump is almost always plugged with a lead ball.

The silicone thing worked to seal it up for a while but I've got one heck of a leak in that engine right now and I'm thinking its that hole again.

maybe find a bolt that fits good and silicone it in there.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like the 1200047 will work like a charm, screws into the pan, Which just might mean you drill a whole and it screws in. If further investigation reveals a flaw in that plan then I suppose I could use the same whole on the passenger side and make that pretzel I was talking about.

great link by the way
thanks
Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online