Oil getting thrown out of hole behind fuel pump.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
That engine in question is a 6.9. But yes I believe all IH IDI blocks have the double hole thing in them. The front one under the fuel pump is almost always plugged with a lead ball.

The silicone thing worked to seal it up for a while but I've got one heck of a leak in that engine right now and I'm thinking its that hole again.

Sean,

Like others have said, if the hole is clean, the RTV will work. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get it super clean, so the next thing to do is thread the hole and put a screw in plug in there. I think it is the right size for a 1/8 NPT pipe thread, so you can use interference to seal it up. If not, use any straight threads that will work and a copper washer under the head to seal.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't work in the present location if I was Houdini himself. I thought Nebraska was working on a 7.3? granted a 94 but the blocks the same so I was thinking that the location options might also be.

I might start a new thread cause this issue must have been overcome before. Lots of folks have put headers on these things and someone somewhere has dealt with this.

Are the headers that close to where one of those fancy flexible lines won't work in the original location?? Can't you go between the pipes? Insulate with fire sleeve or something?

Better 'splain fire sleeve after reading that.

Here, look at this:

http://www.americanfiresleeve.com/

Just throwing it out there since I can't see your circumstance.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just found the flexible dipsticks, "if" I go through the hole, very conveniently placed in the frame, there's a chance assuming two things. One is if it will not bind up in the shaft after I torture it into the shape it needs to be. Two is if engine motion vs frame motion doesn't tear the end out of the whole to the pan. Looks like nothing but an O ring holds it in.

they mention one that screws into the pan, I need to contact them and find out if its a retrofit hole or if its only for models that came with a hole already in and threaded. If I can retrofit something then I'm in. If not then I'm back to the issues with the passenger side original location.

Started the truck today. Ran smooth and sounded strong. Loud as all hell but strong. Just a few more things and I'm on the road.