Oil filter??

ajd257

Reaction score
What oil filter do you guys run on your IDIs, When I bought the truck it had an FL-1995 on it (powerstroke filter). SO with out checking the book, that is just what I have been using. I looked at the book the other day (bored in Wal-Mart) and realized that my truck calls for the smaller filter. Am I hurting the truck or any component of it by running the larger filter? Seems like a larger filter would do a better job, but I know this may not be the case. Should I run the smaller one??
Thanks, Andrew

ajd257

Reaction score
Thanks buddy, the bigger filter seemed logical to me, but ya never know. guess Ill keep on doing what I have been.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I switched filters when I added a turbo to the truck. I think I would have switched anyway, just to get the extra capacity, and indeed I use one on our second NA truck now as well.

jerseybigfoot

Reaction score
Bigger filter don't just hold more dirt they filter better because the pressure drop thru the filter is lower (IE lower velocity thru the filter) with any filter the lower the velocity the more chance of filtering ot particles. Also the more pleats in a filter the greater surface area the lower the velocity. Unfortunatly the manufacturer does not list the filter surface area. In a perfect world they would show the beta ratio for the filter which is the amount of particles held to amount passed of a certian size. Sorry for getting ****, but I've been in the hydraulic filtration business too long.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle