Oil drain plug

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Could anyone tell me how much clearance there is between the drain plug and oil pump tube? Yep I striped my drain plug, pulled most threads off of it. Went to oreillys and bought a 1/2 x 20 drain plug but it was about 3/8 longer than the original. so before I screw something else up I thought I'd ask if anyone could tell me about the clearance.
Thanks, Gunnie

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Normally its about 1/4 inch give or take. It really depends on whether or not the bottom of the pan has been dented. Try this. Stick a screwdriver up into the drain hole and take a measurement of the distance. You will be surprised at how small the pickup to pan is.

tractorman86

Reaction score
i've heard from a good friend of mine (our shop manager), we had a guy that didn't want to work so he loosened the oil plug while the truck was running and walked away. it only dripped a very small puddle and the plug was hanging on by the magnet next to the hole when my friend looked. it wouldn't let much oil drain because the pickup tube was so close to the drain hole

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stopped by international today and picked up the correct replacement, thanks for the info guys.
gunnie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online